Re: [yang-doctors] Yangdoctors last call review of draft-ietf-netconf-rfc7895bis-04

Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de> Wed, 21 February 2018 16:18 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 17:18:07 +0100
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
To: Reshad Rahman <rrahman@cisco.com>
Cc: yang-doctors@ietf.org, draft-ietf-netconf-rfc7895bis.all@ietf.org, netconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [yang-doctors] Yangdoctors last call review of draft-ietf-netconf-rfc7895bis-04

Reshad,

thanks for your review. Comments inline...

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 03:30:48PM -0800, Reshad Rahman wrote:
> Reviewer: Reshad Rahman
> Review result: Ready with Nits
>
> YANG Doctor review of draft-ietf-netconf-rfc7895bis-04 by Reshad Rahman.
>
> 1 module in this draft:
> - ietf-yang-library@2018-01-26.yang
>
> YANG validation on 2018-02-18 reports 2 errors but no warnings. This comes from
> yanglint 0.14.69 and seems to be a tool issue: err : Module "ietf-yang-library"
> in another revision already implemented. err : Module "ietf-yang-library"
> parsing failed.

Yes, I did run into this as well when I tried to use yanglint to
validate the examples. Its a tool issue which is specific to this
module (hence perhaps not worth fixing).

> 2 examples are provided in this draft (Appendices B and C).
>
> Module ietf-yang-library@2018-01-26.yang:
> - typedef revision-identifier. The definition allows invalid dates such as
> 2018-99-99, has there been any consideration to use a more restrictive
> definition, e.g. ‘\d{4}-[0-1][0-9]-[0-3][0-9]’ (I realize this still allows
> incorrect dates)?  Also the revision timestamp is just a date which follows
> YYYY-MM-DD format, isn’t there an existing common typedef (as there is for
> date-and-time) which can be reused?

It is always somewhat subjective how restrictive you make a pattern.
Note that the pattern for the date-and-time typedef in RFC 6991 also
uses '\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}' so I think we are consistent. Yes, there is
no common 'date' type yet - hence we define things inline.

> - grouping implementation-parameters should be renamed
> module-implementation-parameters?

This name change may make sense.

> - The groupings defined are used only once. For
> yang-library-parameters I see why this is done since it can be
> reused. But for others such as implementation-parameters, I don’t
> see why a grouping is needed. Maybe this is just authors’ preference
> to regroup information.

I am not sure which modules would be using these groupings and whether
it is necessary to provide these groupings. I know that some versions
of schema mount used some of the groupings but this may not be
necessary anymore with the new library structure. I assume Martin
knows more details about which groupings may be useful to provide for
possible reuse reasons.

> - Description of leaf module in list deviation: by
> “self-referential” I assume that this means that the reference can
> not refer to the ietf-yang-library module? While this may seem
> obvious I believe it’d be good to spell it out.

No, the intention was to say that a module should not list itself as a
deviation module, neither directly or indirectly. I guess we have to
describe this better. Perhaps something along these lines:

        description
          "A module that deviates the module associated with this
           entry. This reference MUST NOT (directly or indirectly)
           refer to the module being deviated.

           Clients, MUST make sure that they handle a situation
           where a module deviates itself (directly or indirectly)
           gracefully.";

> - list module-set. Since this is for schemas, consider renaming it
> to something along the lines of schema-module-set?

While modules sets are used for schemas, I do not see why a list name
should be selected to constrain this. Actually, changing the name does
not do anything other than changing the name. ;-)

> - Use of “non-import module” in a few descriptions. Should this be
> “non import-only modules”?

Yes, I have changed the sources.

> Nits:
> - Section 1, 2nd paragraph s/informaton/information/

fixed

> - Section 1, 3rd paragraph, add “” quote around /module-states.

fixed

> - Section 1, 5th paragraph s/Since the YANG library contents
> changes/Since the YANG library contents change/?

I would leave this to the RFC editor; is 'content' countable here or
not, should it be plural or singular?

> - Section 4, 2nd paragraph “…that individual datastore schema
> share..”. Should that be “… that individual datastore schemas
> share..”?

I added a plural 's' but again I am happy to let the RFC editor decide
plural form here.

- Appendix B and C. The examples use YANG models which are still
> being updated (hence the note to RFC Editor). Why not use a YANG model which is
> stable, is this because of need to have an NMDA compliant module in the
> examples?

These models are NMDA versions and they are in the RFC editor queue so
I think this is (a) a reason for using them and (b) the references
will be RFCs by the time this document appears.

/js

Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>