[yang-doctors] [IANA #1208742] YANG modules and XML-based registries

Amanda Baber via RT <iana-issues-comment@iana.org> Tue, 14 September 2021 23:51 UTC

From: Amanda Baber via RT <iana-issues-comment@iana.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 23:51:35 +0000
Subject: [yang-doctors] [IANA #1208742] YANG modules and XML-based registries

Hi all,

On Fri Sep 10 23:53:40 2021, michelle.cotton@iana.org wrote:
> Sending the follow-up conversation to a ticket for tracking.
>
> On 9/10/21, 4:11 AM, "Ladislav Lhotka" <ladislav.lhotka@nic.cz>
> wrote:
>
> On 10. 09. 21 11:41, Jürgen Schönwälder wrote:
> > Lada,
> >
> > I think it is highly desirable to have an automated workflow that
> > avoids manual work as much as possible. Creating such a workflow,
> > however, may not be easy and might require a couple of hackathons in
> > order to weed out the corner cases that will show up (and I expect
> > there to be quite a few of them if you look at the larger universe of
> > IANA registries).
>
> Technically, the biggest problem is that I haven't been able to find
> any
> schema or other definition of the XML format used, so one doesn't
> really
> know what to expect in the next registry. Somebody also told me that
> IANA is considering an upgrade of this XML format. If it is so, then
> it
> might be worthwhile to prepare an interface to YANG along with it.

Our development team is currently working on a move to a database- rather than XML-based registry system, but we don't have an ETA.

Once the new system is in place, we will continue to make the current XML files available.

The XML and RNG files use this naming scheme:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-parameters/dns-parameters.xml
https://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-parameters/dns-parameters.rng

If you have any questions, just let us know.

Best regards,

Amanda Baber
IANA Operations Manager