Re: [yang-doctors] Yangdoctors early review of draft-ietf-babel-yang-model-03

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Tue, 15 October 2019 06:38 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 08:38:16 +0200
To: mjethanandani@gmail.com
Cc: rkrejci@cesnet.cz, noreply@ietf.org, yang-doctors@ietf.org, draft-ietf-babel-yang-model.all@ietf.org, babel@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [yang-doctors] Yangdoctors early review of draft-ietf-babel-yang-model-03

Mahesh Jethanandani <mjethanandani@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Oct 14, 2019, at 7:06 AM, Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> wrote:
> >
> > Radek Krejčí via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> wrote:
> >> Reviewer: Radek Krejčí
> >> Review result: Ready with Nits
> >>
> >> There is a single module in the draft: ietf-babel@2019-08-22.yang.
> >>
> >> There are 2 warnings reported by pyang 2.0.2, but both warnings seem
> >> to be
> >> false.
> >
> > Actually, I think they are correct.
> >

> >> ietf-babel@2019-08-22.yang:53: warning: RFC 8407: 3.1: The IETF Trust
> >> Copyright
> >> statement seems to be missing (see pyang --ietf-help for details).
> >
> > Ok it isn't missing, but it doesn't use the eaxct words it should
> > use.
>
> Yes, the words are not exact. I see two versions of the copyright
> statement. Do not know which one is the correct one.
>
> In the model and output of ‘pyang —ietf-help’
>
>      Copyright (c) 2019 IETF Trust and the persons identified as
>      the document authors.  All rights reserved.
>
>      Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or
>      without modification, is permitted pursuant to, and subject
>      to the license terms contained in, the Simplified BSD
>      License set forth in Section 4.c of the IETF Trust's Legal
>      Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
>      (http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info).

pyang only checks the text in the YANG model.

But the text in the the model and the pyang --ietf-help are not the
same (they are similar but not the same).

The text that pyang enforces is the text found in the template in
Appendix B in RFC 8407 (it allows (and recommends) a link to the RFC
which is not present in the 8407 template).

The template text in 8407 is taken from paragraph 6.d in
https://trustee.ietf.org/license-info/IETF-TLP-5.htm.

> In the draft:
>
>    Copyright (c) 2019 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
>    document authors.  All rights reserved.
>
>    This document is subject to BCP 78 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp78>
>    and the IETF Trust's Legal
>    Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
>    (https://trustee.ietf.org/license-info
>    <https://trustee.ietf.org/license-info>) in effect on the date of
>    publication of this document.  Please review these documents
>    carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
>    to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
>    include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
>    the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
>    described in the Simplified BSD License.
>

> >> ietf-babel@2019-08-22.yang:208: warning: the module seems to use RFC
> >> 2119
> >> keywords, but the required text from RFC 8174 is not found (see pyang
> >> --ietf-help for details).
> >
> > This one seems legit as well.
>
> Yes, it is missing the word “NOT RECOMMENDED”. I will add it.

Note that pyang just checks the module, not the draft.  It asks you to
include the 8174 text in the module's description.  It is included in
all "recently" published modules (that use 8174 language).  See
e.g. RFC 8366.

This recommendation is not included in RFC 8407, and I don't remember
the exact origin (perhaps Kent?), but it came out of the discussions
with the RFC editor.

/martin