Re: [yang-doctors] [Netconf] Yangdoctors last call review of draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications-10

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Fri, 06 April 2018 14:30 UTC

Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2018 16:30:48 +0200
To: evoit@cisco.com
Cc: andy@yumaworks.com, yang-doctors@ietf.org, draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications.all@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, netconf@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [yang-doctors] [Netconf] Yangdoctors last call review of draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications-10

Hi,

"Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> After reflecting on this for a bit, I am ok with your argument that if
> the system is quickly generating notification-messages, then the
> replay buffer might be continuously emptying.  And therefore a hint
> for replay start time might not be accurate for very long.  As a
> result, it is better to start the replay immediately with the oldest
> buffered event.
>
> I have updated the establish-subscription RPC as follows.  Does this
> cover your concern (per this sub-thread)?
>
>   rpc establish-subscription {
>     input {     }
>     output {
>       leaf identifier {      }
>       leaf replay-start-time {
>         if-feature "replay";
>         type yang:date-and-time;
>           description
>             "If a replay has been requested, this represents the
>             earliest time covered by the event buffer for the requested
>             stream.  The value of this object is the
>             'replay-log-aged-time' if it exists.  Otherwise it is the
>             'replay-log-creation-time'.  All buffered event records
>             after this time will be replayed to a receiver.  Note that
>             this object will only be sent if the 'replay-start-time' is
>             later than the time requested by the subscriber.";

I am ok with this.   But the output leaf should probably not have the
same name as the input leaf; it is not clear which one you refer to in
the last sentence in the description.  Also, I suggest you do:

  s/Note that this/This/

in the last sentence.

Reading the definition of 'replay-log-aged-time' again, it says:

   The timestamp of the last event record aged out of the log.

The document doesn't define what "the timestamp" of an event record
is.  Is this the time that is sent in the "eventTime" field in the
<notification>?   I think this needs to be clarified.

/martin