[yang-doctors] [Ladislav Lhotka] Re: Yangdoctors last call review of draft-ietf-opsawg-tacacs-yang-03

Ladislav Lhotka <ladislav.lhotka@nic.cz> Tue, 05 May 2020 14:31 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <ladislav.lhotka@nic.cz>
To: opsawg@ietf.org, YANG Doctors <yang-doctors@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 16:31:51 +0200
Subject: [yang-doctors] [Ladislav Lhotka] Re: Yangdoctors last call review of draft-ietf-opsawg-tacacs-yang-03

Lada

-------------------- Start of forwarded message --------------------
From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 16:16:27 +0200

"Joe Clarke (jclarke)" <jclarke@cisco.com> writes:

> Thank you for your review, Lada.  One item came up in WGLC about the server-type leaf (and you have called that out below).
>
> Right now, this is an enumeration.  As you say (and also Tom Petch
> pointed out) that typically a server will have multiple types (i.e.,

In fact, Tom pointed out other things that I also had in my review (I didn't know about that thread before, I swear:-).

> a server will be used for authn, authz, and acct).  So Bo proposed a
> leaf-list solution whereby one could specify multiple values for
> server-type.  Tom counter-proposed a bit string (akin to chmod and
> NACM CRUDX handling).  As a contributor, I liked the leaf-list idea,
> but Tom is still leaning toward the bit string.  We wanted to get
> YAND Doc’s opinion on this.

I was also thinking about the "bits" type, it is IMO designed for cases like this. Note that in XML or JSON representation (not in CBOR, though), the on-the-wire instance encoding is also self-describing, e.g.

<server-type>authentication authorization</server-type>

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka
Head, CZ.NIC Labs