Re: [yang-doctors] Looking for YANG doctors'helping for a Mboned draft

Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de> Thu, 30 November 2017 08:08 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 09:06:30 +0100
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
To: zhang.zheng@zte.com.cn, zzhang_ietf@hotmail.com, gjshep@gmail.com, rick@tropicalstormsoftware.com, lenny@juniper.net, yang-doctors@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [yang-doctors] Looking for YANG doctors'helping for a Mboned draft

It seems the authors do§ what Benoit would call a service model. The
text clearly needs work. For example:

   Network operators can input this model to a controller who is
   responsible to translate the information and invoke the corresponding
   protocol models into configurations to configure the network elements
   through NETCONF/RESTCONF/CLI.

What does 'input the model' mean? I note that the document says MBONED
and then lists bier@ietf.org as contact. In YANG, we use revision
statements for published models, not for posted I-Ds. And yes, I agree
with Martin that definitions of the type

    typedef si {
        type uint16;
        description
          "The type for set identifier";
    }

or somewhat opaque (no way to tell whether uint16 is an adequate
choice).

What I generally do not understand about these service models is how
we deal with the fact that the mapping to the underlying device models
is entirely undefined. But this is a model content issue and hence
something to look into by the subject matter experts.

And yes, this is a data model and not an information model as far as I
can tell.

/js