YANG Catalog Latest Developments - October 2017

bclaise at cisco.com (Benoit Claise) Sun, 08 October 2017 21:00 UTC

From: bclaise at cisco.com (Benoit Claise)
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 23:00:56 +0200
Subject: YANG Catalog Latest Developments - October 2017

Dear all,

On behalf of the full team of dedicated people, we would like to share
the latest developments on the yangcatalog.org project.

- We added a belongs-to leaf to track parent modules.
Use case: an easy lookup of the name of the module that includes this
submodule

-? We added lists to track dependents and dependencies for a given module.
Use case: an easy lookup of all dependents (those YANG modules that
depend on the target module) and dependencies (those YANG modules are
imported by the target module). This is a key feature for the impact
analysis tool
<https://www.yangcatalog.org/yang-search/impact_analysis.php>.

- We simplified the generated-from enumerated values.
Use case: knowing whether a YANG module is generated from a MIB per
RFC6643, whether a YANG module is generated from platform internal,
proprietary structure, or code, or whether a YANG module is authored
manually.

- We refined the type for compilation-result to be an inet:uri.
Use case: we now store the compilation result (from pyang, confdc,
yangdump-pro, and yanglint) as a separate file, in order to improve the
performance and readability.

- We added the concept of semantic versioning

Two distinct leaves in the YANG module contains this semver semantic:

the semantic-version leaf contains the value reported as metadata

by a specific YANG module.

the derived-semantic-version leaf is established by examining the

the YANG module themselves.As such, only the YANG syntax, as

opposed to the implementation changes that lead some some semantic

changes.

Use case: we want to understand if two YANG modules (with the same YANG
module name) are backward compatible.
This is especially important for generated models and openconfig models,
but might be important for IETF YANG modules as well.
See the discussion on the NETMOD mailing list
<https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netmod/current/maillist.html>.

- We reorderedthe ? organization??leaf to be with other module keys.
Use case: the YANG module details view
<https://www.yangcatalog.org/yang-search/module_details.php?module=ietf-interfaces>(which
starts to be quite complete) combined the metedata in a more logical way.

- All of the above points are documented in our new draft version (-02):
YANG module for yangcatalog.org
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-clacla-netmod-model-catalog/>.
This YANG module is used as the foundation for the APIs for yangcatalog.org.

- We improved the YANG impact analysis to quickly be able to determine
the different impacted standard development organizations, consortia,
and manufacturers.
See an example here
<https://www.yangcatalog.org/yang-search/impact_analysis.php?modules%5B%5D=ietf-interfaces&recurse=0&rfcs=1&show_subm=1&show_dir=both>.
By clicking on an organization, the YANG modules from this organization
are highlighted. Note that this function is also cumulative.
Next to that, the rim colors expresses that maturity level (INITIAL,
RATIFIED, ADOPTED), the compilation failure, or the bottleneck for
ratification.

- We developed a feature to determine the combined email addresses of
all dependent YANG modules.
Use case: when a YANG module is updated, we proactively want to warn all
authors of impacted YANG modules (because they import the target module).
As an example, for the ietf-routing YANG module, this produces the
following list.
{
 ??? "output": {
 ??????? "author-email": [
"draft-ietf-mpls-static-yang at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-mpls-static-yang at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-mpls-base-yang at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-mpls-base-yang at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-ospf-sr-yang at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-ospf-sr-yang at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-pim-yang at ietf.org" <mailto:draft-ietf-pim-yang at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-bier-bier-yang at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-bier-bier-yang at ietf.org>,
"draft-zhang-bier-te-yang at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-zhang-bier-te-yang at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-isis-yang-isis-cfg at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-isis-yang-isis-cfg at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-teas-yang-rsvp-te at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-teas-yang-rsvp-te at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-yang at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-yang at ietf.org>,
"draft-zhao-pim-igmp-mld-snooping-yang at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-zhao-pim-igmp-mld-snooping-yang at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-isis-sr-yang at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-isis-sr-yang at ietf.org>,
"draft-acee-rtgwg-yang-rib-extend at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-acee-rtgwg-yang-rib-extend at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-yang at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-yang at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-i2rs-fb-rib-data-model at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-i2rs-fb-rib-data-model at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-ospf-yang at ietf.org" <mailto:draft-ietf-ospf-yang at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-rip at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-rip at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-spring-sr-yang at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-spring-sr-yang at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-teas-yang-rsvp at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-teas-yang-rsvp at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-i2rs-pkt-eca-data-model at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-i2rs-pkt-eca-data-model at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-yang at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-yang at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-bfd-yang at ietf.org" <mailto:draft-ietf-bfd-yang at ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-pim-msdp-yang at ietf.org"
<mailto:draft-ietf-pim-msdp-yang at ietf.org>
 ??????? ]
 ??? }
}

Don't hesitate to provide your feedback on the YANG catalag set of tools
at info at yangcatalog.org <mailto:info at yangcatalog.org>

Feel free to forward this email.

Subscribe
<https://www.marcuscom.com/mailman/listinfo/yangcatalog-announce>to
announce at yangcatalog.org <mailto:announce at yangcatalog.org>to get updates
about the YANG Catalog.

Regards, Joe and Benoit, on behalf of the team.