Re: [arch-d] IAB Adoption of draft-nottingham-for-the-users-09

Jefsey <jefsey@jefsey.com> Thu, 25 July 2019 00:13 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 02:13:03 +0200
To: Vittorio Bertola <vittorio.bertola@open-xchange.com>, architecture-discuss@ietf.org
From: Jefsey <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Subject: Re: [arch-d] IAB Adoption of draft-nottingham-for-the-users-09

On 15:31 23/07/2019, Vittorio Bertola said:
>The draft seems to imply that the IETF is building a corpus of
>principle documents that are to be used as a binding reference to
>put an end to any doubt on how to apply the main guideline -
>basically, a "constitution" of the IETF. The draft actually lists
>RFC7754, RFC7258, RFC7624 and others.

Dear Vittorio,

35 years years ago I used to come to your Turino place, to discuss
with FIAT's EDP Director and his team about their plan for the
preparation of their corporate network, as I did with Philips,
Unilever, Visa, Swift, many PTTs, etc. They guested me because they
used my machine at Italcable to access their US hosts and wanted our
technology. Then, I am afraid the world suffered from a 30 years
technological militaro-industrial TCP take-over and status-quo. It
has not yet recovered from it.

There are two subtly different ways, but with important consequences,
to approach technology:

1. As an end in itself: it must always be improved to be available
for better performance, innovation, and new types of uses, which
might lead it to be used to control it (cf. IAB warnings in
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3869>RFC 3869).

1.1. This is the position of the IETF, in the academic tradition of
Licklider, John McCarthy, etc. It links to IEEE, IAB, IETF, ISOC, and
W3C). The goal of the IETF is to make the Internet work better. The
mission of the IETF is to produce high quality, relevant technical
and engineering documents that influence the way people design, use,
and manage the Internet in such a way as to make the Internet work better. »

1.2. Technology influences people. Code is law.  i.e. Eventually law
should be code, i.e. standards by standard makers.

2. as a prothesis that is to extend the human individual and
collective capacities: for a "plus human" by the "plus machina".

2.1. This was the Tymshare (Augment) philosophy by sharing machines
(Doug Engelbart, augmentation) and diktyological (networking) power,
the extended (intelligent) networking of the multitude (my mid-1980
Tymnet Extended Network Services) of sovereign users
(capacitation).  To fully understand this you need to know the true
digital network story.

2.2. This also is the position of the WSIS: a knowledge society that
is to be "people-centered, à caractère humain, centrada en la persona".

You would like to consider the points of possible relations between
the IETF and the Governments, civil society, private sector, and
international organizations that coordinate through the IGF, the IETF
was missed at the WSIS. It was then led by Brian Carpenter who
happened to live in Geneva. His position at the time was « the least
he heard of it the best it was ». So nothing was discussed. On
20131210, when the Sao Paulo US/Brazil attempt was on its way, he
explained: « Does anyone have a shred of respect for anything that
came out of WSIS?[…] The best thing the IGF (and the Brazil meeting)
could do is ban the G word and separate the two discussions. »
Typical  IETF/American "ITU/UNO-phobia".

Please note that, as far as we (the individual users' multitude) are
concerned, there is a still available low layer catenet, hampered by
the various ISP filters to address the IETF TCP patches and to comply
with GAFGovs pollution (existing and still more to come). Until now,
it still survives at the lowest UDP layers. Google tries to make
something out of it (quic), the same as I am trying to do with fellow
academic seniors (we have temporarily named it « kyk » (the « kick
your knowledge per machinam» project, resuming at the 1986 level (1),
plus what software developed in 30 years in spite of the IETF
technical status quo).

I agree, everyone must fight industrial pollution. Some quit smoking,
and the IAB considers this draft. Why not? Anyway, I guesstimate the
ICANN pollution peaked a few years ago. Now it is patching the IETF
IDNA into the UA-1500 TLDs rigmarole.

Vale !
Jefsey

---
(1) because we think that the network node operating system for
communication processing should function in continuity with the very
network architecture.