[Arcing] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-trammell-inip-pins-01.txt

Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch> Fri, 11 March 2016 20:00 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 21:00:00 +0100
To: arcing@ietf.org
Subject: [Arcing] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-trammell-inip-pins-01.txt

Greetings, all,

I've posted rev -01 of the Properties of an Ideal Naming Service (pins) draft. On a quick scan of the list archive, I see Ted's already mentioned this. A little background: This document was created as part of an academic exercise to design a naming service, and I decided to submit a draft on "what makes a naming service good" for discussion in the Names and Identifiers program.

Changes, one of which is relevant to ARCING, one less so:

(1) Added discussion on the implicitness of context in which naming assertions and queries exist, which is pretty much the arcing problem (but also manifests in the DNS as issues with DNS-based geographic load balancing and leaks of internally valid queries outside administrative domain boundaries). No magic bullet, just wanted to capture what was interesting and difficult about explicit inconsistency.

(2) Added a new property "revocability of authority", which follows from other properties but wasn't explicitly spelled out.

Cheers,

Brian