Re: [art] Last Call for Comments: draft-nottingham-rfc7320bis (BCP 190 update)

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Wed, 16 October 2019 23:33 UTC

To: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>, 'Applications and Real-Time Area Discussion' <art@ietf.org>
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 18:33:28 -0500
Subject: Re: [art] Last Call for Comments: draft-nottingham-rfc7320bis (BCP 190 update)

Thanks for bringing that up again, Larry! I recall seeing that message
and having a hard time parsing out the point you were making or deducing
what resultant changes you'd like to see to BCP 190. I meant to return
to it later to puzzle out your exact meaning, but it got away from me. I
apologize.

Thanks for adding concrete examples; looking to them for clarification...

It appears that draft-kelly-json-hal is using URIs exactly as expected
(that is, the _thing_ being talked about is exactly the _thing_ the URI
has been assigned to by the site administrator), albeit with some
interesting HTTP-specific protocol stuff that uses Content-Type to
change the response body from information to metainformation. There's
certainly some HTTP-related discussion to be had here about the wisdom
of overloading the semantics of Content-Type in this way, but it doesn't
seem to bear on the naming question. Correct me if I've simply found the
wrong part of this document.

I dug through draft-ietf-core-coral and couldn't quite find any
mechanism that seems to align with the words in your statement below.
But then again, it's a pretty big draft, and you didn't cite any
particular behavior in particular, so I might have missed the section
you have in mind. For what its worth, the URI handling that I see in
that document is based on the provisioning of a (server-controlled)
starting-point URI into clients, and then using a document at that
endpoint as a roadmap for all the other URIs used by the application.
This seems entirely compliant with both BCP 190 as currently written and
with the proposed BCP 190 currently under discussion. I see nothing to
"take into account" here, as the draft's approach is already in
accordance with BCP 190 (and, in fact, it was one of the solutions that
I encourage TRANS to pursue).

As before, I'm trying not to take a position on any given issue here, so
I don't intend to argue for or against the point you're making -- I'm
just looking for clarity on what you're trying to say, ideally in a way
that is understandable to the community and (assuming the community
agrees) actionable for the draft author.

I would propose that the easiest way to make progress is to send
concrete suggestions to this mailing list detailing text that you would
like to see added/revised/removed from the current draft. If you find it
easier, you may wish to submit a PR against
https://github.com/mnot/I-D/blob/gh-pages/rfc7320bis/draft.md and post a
link to that PR to this mailing list. If not, email with OLD/NEW
sections would serve the purpose just fine.

Thanks!

/a