Re: [bess] Benoit Claise's Discuss on draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-extranet-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Fri, 22 April 2016 19:57 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: "'Alvaro Retana (aretana)'" <aretana@cisco.com>, "'Benoit Claise (bclaise)'" <bclaise@cisco.com>, joelja@bogus.com
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 15:57:02 -0400
Cc: bess-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-extranet@ietf.org, 'Eric C Rosen' <erosen@juniper.net>, "'John G. Scudder'" <jgs@juniper.net>, 'Martin Vigoureux' <martin.vigoureux@nokia.com>, bess@ietf.org, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [bess] Benoit Claise's Discuss on draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-extranet-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Alvaro:

There were two  portions to my comment:  Deployment considerations and
easily found BGP-Community definitions.  The text fits 95% of my desired
work.  I have two small suggested changes in each category.   I have
included these below.  I can live with either of these suggested changes
being rejected.

I asked John Scudder (my IDR Co-chair) regarding the textural flow in this
document.   John seems to follow Eric’s writing style with ease.  You might
want to pass the textual change for deployments I suggested below by John as
well as Thomas and Martin.   It may also be useful for to have John Scudder
read through the text to make sure we have not damaged Eric’s flow and
style.

===========

Deployment considerations:

The text reads a bit harsh now in the "VPN security violations", and may I
suggest the following addition in

Paragraph 12.

/Old We use the term "VPN security violation" to refer to any situation in

which a packet is delivered to a particular VPN, even though, by

policy, it should not be delivered to that VPN.

/

New

/We use the term "VPN security violation" to refer to any situation in

which a packet is delivered to a particular VPN, even though, by

policy, it should not be delivered to that VPN.

A bit of context on VPN technology may put the

"VPN security violation" in context.  Any application

of the technology based on  [RFC4364] requires

that an operator pay special

attention to configurations of RTs,

any manual configuration of VRFs, and the

intended data paths.

Please see the section 9 on security

considerations for additional details.

/

Clearly Distinguishable BGP Communities:

Could I suggest just one white space changes to version 7 for the BGP
Aspect?

Section 4.4.1

Old/

  To facilitate this, we define a new Transitive Opaque Extended

   Community (see [RFC4360], [RFC7153], and Section 9 of this document)

   the "Extranet Source" Extended Community.  When a CE router

   advertises (via BGP) a route to a PE router, and the AFI/SAFI of the

   route is 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 2/1, 2/2, or 2/4, the Extranet Source

   Extended Community MAY be attached to the route.  The value field of

   the Extended Community MUST be set to zero.  By placing this Extended

   Community on a particular route, a CE router indicates to a PE router

   that the procedures of Sections 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 are to be applied

  to that route.  That is, the CE router may use this Extended

   Community to indicate to the PE router that a particular route is to

   be treated as a route that matches the address of an extranet source,

   and exported accordingly to other VPNs.  A PE router that interprets

   this Extended Community MUST ignore the contents of the value field.

/

New/

[...]

This add white-space with textual change, but a spacing helps the person
easily see the definition of the extended community.

Sue