Re: [BLISS] Review of draft-ietf-bliss-ach-analysis-06.txt

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Thu, 29 April 2010 07:58 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Scott Lawrence <xmlscott@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:58:13 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "bliss@ietf.org" <bliss@ietf.org>, Scott Lawrence <scottlawrenc@avaya.com>
Subject: Re: [BLISS] Review of draft-ietf-bliss-ach-analysis-06.txt

Scott,

(Shortened in places)

[JRE] OK, I will adopt these words.

> > > Section 7.1:
> > >
> > >   I don't know that the two normative (MUST) statements
> here actually
> > >   make any sense in practice, and in any event they are not very
> > >   specific.
>
> > [JRE] Perhaps SHOULD? But I don't like that. We are trying
> to improve
> > interoperability, and the conclusion was that by turning off ACH
> > features at the UA, leaving it to the proxy, a certain class of
> > interoperability problem can be avoided.
>
> > >   What does a UA having 'all ACH features turned off' really mean?
> > >   Never return a 3xx response?  Never return a 486 busy response?
> > >   Disable the 'Do Not Disturb' button?  Don't give the
> user the option
> > >   to reject a call?
>
> > [JRE] It means responding to indicate the state, and
> leaving the proxy
> > to determine any subsequent action.
>
> > >   Similarly, what does it mean that a proxy must 'operate
> when ACH is
> > >   provided by the registered UA'?  That the proxy cannot
> implement any
> > >   redirection or retargeting?  If so, then the assertion that this
> > >   'typically would be the default configuration' is
> certainly not true
> > >   of any system I've encountered.
>
> > [JRE] Normally an out-of-the-box proxy has all ACH features turned
> > off. It will need some configuration to cause forwarding
> from A to B,
> > for example, this can never be default.
>
> My real point is that I'm not sure that there is any value in making
> statements about what is 'typically' true.  Any system that includes a
> voicemail service that I've ever seen includes sending calls to
> voicemail by default when not answered.
[JRE] I have deleted the bits about typically being the default configuration.

> I certainly agree that it should be possible to tell either a
> proxy or a
> UA not to do any redirection or retargeting... if you like MUST for
> that, that's fine.
>
> > > Section 7.2 says:
> > >
> > >    o  Response code 487 for silent rejection/local.  This
> is the same
> > >       response code that would be used if a proxy were to
> > > issue a CANCEL
> > >       request.
> > >
> > >   That's a new (to me, at least) usage that does not seem
> to me to be
> > >   within the meaning given to it by 3261:
> > >
> > >     The request was terminated by a BYE or CANCEL request.
> > > This response
> > >     is never returned for a CANCEL request itself.
>
> > [JRE] Exactly, if I send a CANCEL, the UA will respond to
> the INVITE with 487.
>
> My reading of that suggestion was that if my phone rings, and I press
> the 'reject silently' button on my phone, then it should send 487.  I
> don't think that's correct behavior because there was no
> CANCEL from the
> UAC.  If that's not what you meant, then that section is confusing.
[JRE] I have changed the wording to say: "This is the same response code that would be used to reject an INVITE request if a proxy were to issue a CANCEL request."

[JRE] I would like to issue an -07, but prefer to wait until there has been some discussion on the thread I initiated on 15th April.

John