RE: [802.1 - 1083] FW: [Bridge-mib] Connectivity Fault Management MIB

"Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com> Wed, 15 November 2006 18:39 UTC

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
To: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@AVAYA.COM>, STDS-802-1-L@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: RE: [802.1 - 1083] FW: [Bridge-mib] Connectivity Fault Management MIB
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:38:49 +0100
Cc: "Bridge-Mib (E-mail)" <bridge-mib@ietf.org>

Let me try a few (immediate and obvious answers).
But I am not answering all... and of course I am not
the author/editor of the MIB.

see inline

Norm and I were discussion the security considerations and part
of that was/is the fact that an interface may have disappeared
over a reboot. In that case, Norm suggested to use zero for
ifIndex. Seems fine to me. Syntax then will have to be
changed to InterfaceIndexOr Zero.

> 2. Why the index, for example, in dot1agCfmMdTable is an
> single integer
> one (dot1agCfmMdIndex) and not a pair {dot1agCfmMdFormat,
> dot1agCfmMdName}?
> In this case we will not need the object
> dot1agCfmMdTableNextIndex, etc.

This will create VERY long OIDs.
Possibly so long that a CREATE will not fit in one SNMP PDU.

> 3. The same concerns dot1agCfmMaIndex vs. {dot1agCfmMaFormat,
> dot1agCfmMaName}. In another words, why cannot we index
> dot1agCfmMaTable
> by index {dot1agCfmMdFormat, dot1agCfmMdName, dot1agCfmMaFormat,
> dot1agCfmMaName}?

same here

> 4. Why do we have both the field dot1agCfmMaMoreThanOneVid
> and a special
> interval for dot1agCfmMaIndex to reflect a association with VLAN? IMHO
> simpler method is to have in this table number of VLANs, that
> may be 0.

That would probably work also.
Not sure why it is so much simpler. But I could live with it.

> 5. In the Table 17-1 object dot1agCfmMdIndex is referred to
> 12.14.2.1.2:b, but 12.14.2.1.2:b describes "An MD Level".
> Could you use integer index dot1agCfmStackLevel instead?

I will leave that to Norm or David (MIB editor)

Bert