Re: [Cfrg] PAKE selection process: status after Phase 1 and following steps

Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org> Wed, 17 July 2019 07:25 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 00:25:07 -0700
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
To: cfrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] PAKE selection process: status after Phase 1 and following steps

   Hello,

   Below are the responses for SPEKE to the RFC 8125 PAKE requirements
and the additional questions.

   regards,

   Dan.

    REQ1:  A PAKE scheme MUST clearly state its features regarding
           balanced/augmented versions.

SPEKE is a balanced PAKE but it can easily be made augmented (e.g. the
B-SPEKE protocol).

    REQ2:  A PAKE scheme SHOULD come with a security proof and clearly
           state its assumptions and models.

A security proof for SPEKE in the random oracle model based on a new
assumption, "the Decision Inverted-Additive Diffie-Hellman" was
published in:

Philip MacKenzie, On the Security of the SPEKE Password-Authenticated
Key Exchange Protocol,
Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2001/057, 2001,
https://eprint.iacr.org/2001/057

    REQ3:  The authors SHOULD show how to protect their PAKE scheme
           implementation in hostile environments, particularly, how to
           implement their scheme in constant time to prevent timing
           attacks.

SPEKE uses a password-derived generator to perform a Diffie-Hellman key
exchange.
Derivation of this generator can be done in constant time using a
CFRG-approved
hash-to-element technique.

    REQ4:  If the PAKE scheme is intended to be used with ECC, the
           authors SHOULD discuss their requirements for a potential
           mapping or define a mapping to be used with the scheme.

SPEKE can be used with ECC and, as noted under REQ3, an appropriate
hash-to-curve
algorithm can be used to obtain the password-derived generator.

    REQ5:  The authors of a PAKE scheme MAY discuss its design choice
           with regard to performance, i.e., its optimization goals.

In addition to the operations necessary to map the password to a
generator, SPEKE
reuires two modular exponentiations.

Another benefit of SPEKE is that as a balanced PAKE it just requires the
same
password to be provisioned on the two peers. There is no secure channel
between
them that is assumed to exist or have existed and there are no storage
requirements
placed on implementations.

    REQ6:  The authors of a scheme MAY discuss variations of their scheme
           that allow the use in special application scenarios.  In
           particular, techniques that facilitate long-term (public) key
           agreement are encouraged.

(Note: this is not being written by the author of the scheme).

Techniques to facilitate long-term public key agreement can be built on
top of
SPEKE much in the same way that PKEX built on top of SPAKE2. Because
there is
no requirement for a secure channel to provision SPEKE there is no catch-22.

    REQ7:  Authors of a scheme MAY discuss special ideas and solutions on
           privacy protection of its users.

SPEKE provides no privacy protection but it doesn't preclude it either.
It could
be possible to implement a scheme similar to that used by TLS-PWD (RFC 8492)
at the cost of a secure channel at provisioning time.

    REQ8:  The authors MUST follow the IRTF IPR policy
           <https://irtf.org/ipr>.

SPEKE was patented with U.S. Patent 6,226,383. That patent expired in
March 2007.
There are no other patents that are known to apply to SPEKE.

Additional questions from Stanislav Smyshlyaev on 5 July 2019

     How does it meet the "SHOULD" requirements of RFC 8125?

I do believe so, yes.

     Does it meet "crypto agility" requirements, not fixing any
particular primitives
     and/or parameters?

Very much so.

     What setting is the PAKE suitable for, which applications does it
have?
         "Peer communication" (where both ends share the same password)
or "client-server"
     (where the server does not store the password but only a one-way
function of the
     password)?

As a balanced PAKE, SPEKE is suitable for peer communications. It can
also be implemented
in a true peer-to-peer protocol where there are no "initiators" and
"responders".

         A nomination should specify for which use-cases the protocol is
recommended ("PAKE
     as a more-secure replacement for a PSK on a machine-2-machine
interface" or "PAKE
     for securely accessing a remote HMI interface server (e.g. a web
server) without
     configured WEB-PKI certificates").

This is definitely a more secure replacement for a PSK. Any kind of
deployment where each
side agrees on a passcode/passphrase, from establishing keys to secure
routing messages
to IoT devices with a limited UI. Any application that traditionally was
done with "enter
password here".

         Can two communicating parties initiate the key exchange process
at the same time,
     or must it always be the case that only one party can initiate the
process?

SPEKE could be adapted into such a key exchange, such as the (abandoned)
IKEv3 proposal.

         Is it suitable to be considered as a standalone scheme?

Yes.

         Can it be integrated into IKEv2? TLS Handshake? Any other
protocols?

IKEv2 definitely. As a balanced PAKE it is perfect for this. For TLS it
could be made
to work but honestly an augmented PAKE would be better for TLS. For
other protocols,
it would be ideal for LAKE or an ACE protocol.

     Is there a publicly available security proof? If yes,
         Are there known problems with the proof?

Not that I know of.

         Is the considered security model relevant for all applications
that PAKE is intended
     for (e.g., if a PAKE is to be used in TLS Handshake, it is
important that the TLS
     adversary model is considered for the PAKE)?

I believe so.

         Does it allow to be sure in sufficient level of security for
common values of
     password lengths?

Yes.

     Security assessment.
         Does its security depend on any nontrivial implementation
properties? Are they
     clearly stated in the document?

No.

         Does the PAKE have precomputation security (for augmented PAKEs)?

N/A

         If the PAKE relies on the assumption of a trusted setup - more
specifically, the
     discrete logarithm relationship between the two group elements in
the system setup
     MUST be unknown - in anticipation of the worst but not impossible
scenario, the
     authors should clearly state the security implications when the
discrete logarithm
     relationship becomes known, and the subsequent mitigation measures.

N/A

     Performance assessment.
         What's with the “round efficiency” of the PAKE? In a standard
two/multi-party secure
     computation setting, the “round” is defined as a step in which all
parties can
     complete operations at the same time without depending on each
other. In practice,
     a 2-round protocol could be implemented as 2 flows or 3 flows
depending on the
     application context, but that’s more the implementation detail.

The SPEKE protocol is simply a Diffie-Hellman but to do a secure PAKE it
is necessary to
confirm the established keys. So this would be a 3- or 4-message exchange.

         How many operations of each type (scalar multiplications,
inversions in finite
     fields, hash calculations etc.) are made by each side?

Excluding the hash-to-element calculations to derive the shared
generator there are
two modular exponentiations/point multiplications to derive the shared
secret and
two keyed hash calls for key confirmation.

     Which recommendations for secure usage can be given?
         Is it defined how the explicit key confirmation is
performed/must be performed
     externally? Are there clear statements whether this procedure is
optional or
     mandatory?

Key confirmation is mandatory.

         Can any recommendations on using iterated hashing (e.g., with
Scrypt) with the
     PAKE be given?

No.

         Can any recommendations to avoid a user enumeration attack be
given?

Throttle back on negotiations when unsuccessful authentication attempts
exceed some threshold
and simulate the protocol with random data when an "invalid" username is
presented.