Re: CHARSET considerations

Laurence Lundblade <lgl@nwnet.net> Mon, 17 May 1993 17:08 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 May 1993 09:06:59 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Laurence Lundblade <lgl@nwnet.net>
Subject: Re: CHARSET considerations
To: Mark Crispin <mrc@ikkoku-kan.panda.com>
Cc: ietf-charsets@innosoft.com, scs@adam.mit.edu, TROTH@ricevm1.rice.edu, pine-info@cac.washington.edu, ietf-822@dimacs.rutgers.edu, ietf-charsets@innosoft.com, dan@ees1a0.engr.ccny.cuny.edu, scs@adam.mit.edu

I haven't followed this discussion, but Pine does do a few things with
character sets.  For example if you set Pine to use ISO-8859-1 and send an
all ASCII message it will tag it US-ASCII (instead of ISO-8859-1).  Also,
it's smart enough to display the lower 128 for all incoming messages in
the ISO-8859-X characters sets and greek the ones it can't if the
character set of the receiving Pine is US-ASCII or ISO-8859-X.  Thought
that was what required for minimal MIME compliance.

Hope I haven't upgraded the sin from omission to comision....

LL