Re: [core] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-15.txt

Klaus Hartke <hartke@tzi.org> Tue, 05 April 2016 15:09 UTC

From: Klaus Hartke <hartke@tzi.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 17:08:57 +0200
To: Abhijan Bhattacharyya <abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com>
Cc: Nevil Brownlee <rfc-ise@rfc-editor.org>, "core@ietf.org WG" <core@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [core] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-15.txt

Hi Abhijan,

I've taken a brief look at the new revision. It worries me that the
draft does not contain the words "safe-to-forward", "proxy" (besides
HTTP-to-CoAP reverse proxy) and "cache". The interaction of a new
option with these CoAP features is an important aspect and needs
careful analysis. I don't think it's a good idea to publish the draft
as an RFC before the text addresses the following questions:

* What's the rationale for the No-Response option being safe-to-forward?

* What's the impact of the No-Response option on a chain of
CoAP-to-CoAP proxies?

* What's the impact of the No-Response option on caches?

Klaus