Re: [Diffserv-interest] congestion in diffserv network

John Schnizlein <jschnizl@cisco.com> Tue, 28 October 2003 17:32 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:30:55 -0500
To: Feng Y <feng6@uwindsor.ca>
From: John Schnizlein <jschnizl@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Diffserv-interest] congestion in diffserv network
Cc: diffserv-interest@ietf.org
Sender: diffserv-interest-admin@ietf.org

The simple reason that congestion can occur is that the TCA
need not limit incoming traffic sufficiently to avoid it.
The TCA for expedited forwarding is the only one, of many
traffic classes, that seeks to eliminate potential congestion,
in order to minimize delay and jitter.

The parameters of other class definitions, assured forwarding
for example, are intended to mark traffic at different ingress
rates for different treatment when congestion occurs. Note
that this anticipates that congestion will occur.

Please recall that the high link utilization in an IP network
is obtained in large measure because traffic loads are high
enough to produce occasional congestion. Cooperative management
of this congestion is the responsibility of transport-layer
protocols.

John