Re: [dnsext] New RRtype "KREALM" in draft-vanrein-dnstxt-krb1-02.txt

Rick van Rein <rick@openfortress.nl> Sun, 13 September 2015 12:55 UTC

Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 14:55:45 +0200
From: Rick van Rein <rick@openfortress.nl>
To: Niall O'Reilly <niall.oreilly@ucd.ie>
Cc: dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] New RRtype "KREALM" in draft-vanrein-dnstxt-krb1-02.txt

Hello Niall / Tony / list,

Good post, thanks!

> Don't you end up with a potentially large but sparse matrix of
> valid tag/value pairs in this model, Rick?

No, it's not supposed to be sparse.  If things belong together you put
them in the same KREALM record.  If they don't belong together you put
them in separate ones.  The idea is to capture what belongs together by
putting them in the same KREALM record, for brevity of DNS data.

For instance, "service" declarations would be part of a hostname,
together with the "realm" declarations supported; chances are that
www.example.com has realm "EXAMPLE.COM" and "EXAMPLE.ORG" and service
"HTTP" defined, and perhaps also "host" (for remote login) and "cifs".
This gives rise to all combinations

HTTP/www.example.com@EXAMPLE.COM
HTTP/www.example.com@EXAMPLE.ORG
host/www.example.com@EXAMPLE.COM
host/www.example.com@EXAMPLE.ORG
cifs/www.example.com@EXAMPLE.COM
cifs/www.example.com@EXAMPLE.ORG

Since this is located at the server name (www) rather than the
DNS-mapped realm name (example.com and example.org) this is not as
sparse as you are thinking, if I guess correctly.

The reason for keeping those within one KREALM RDATA structure is that
it enables me to specify one KREALM that definces service=HTTP for both
realms, and the other two could only be made available to one of the
realms.  Note that there is no explicit name for that distinction, but
we could wonder if the realm name would be the prime cause of wanting to
make such distinctions, and that is what you are addressing below.

> Would a two-stage representation of the data you need work?
> I'm thinking of normalization and foreign keys.

Very interesting idea.  In fact I was already doing that somewhat, with
a KREALM "reference  record" at the service name (www) that points to
the "home record" where a more elaborate KREALM "home record" is
located.  The "admin" tag would be typically something to find near the
"home record", which is indeed what I specified.  Still, you are making
it more explicit, which is indeed useful.

You are triggering a lot of thoughts with this, which is good, but it'll
need some time for me to think them over.  I started responding in
detail (left below) but it's unfinished.  It'll will take a few walks in
nature and probably lead to a modified proposal, possibly different on
details.  My start should be to clearly state the use cases for the
KREALM record, and finding the best ways of embedding that into DNS.

Thanks a lot so far!
 -Rick

> Here's an example below.
>
> ; advertise realms to which $ORIGIN belongs
> ; so that clients can perform discovery
> ; this RRset is the REALM-SET
> @ KREALM "realm" "EXAMPLE.COM"
> @ KREALM "realm" "EXAMPLE.ORG"

Here, $ORIGIN as you call it would be the hostname for the service, so
"www.example.com" for a service like HTTP/www.example.com

> ;
> ; for each realm at $ORIGIN, advertise its attributes
> ;
> ; this RRset is the ATTRIBUTE-SET for realm "EXAMPLE.COM" at $ORIGIN
> EXAMPLE.COM._realm KREALM "admin" "carl"
> EXAMPLE.COM._realm KREALM "service" "HTTP"
> ;
> ; this RRset is the ATTRIBUTE-SET for realm "EXAMPLE.ORG" at $ORIGIN
> EXAMPLE.ORG._realm KREALM "admin" "mary"
> EXAMPLE.ORG._realm KREALM "service" "imap"

And this too would fall under that hostname "www.example.com" and add
details.

There are two things that you've triggered.

The things I described as "home tags" are properties of the realm; the
"admin" tag is the running example.  That would not be defined for
individual services, but under the DNS-mapped realm name (which is just
reading a DNS-formatted realm name with ignored case sensitivity).  So I
would suggest to write those simply as

example.com. KREALM "admin" carl"
example.org. KREALM "admin" "mary"

Now, the service tags could be stored underneath the _realm subname.
Interestingly, this enables wildcard notation *._realm as well, for example

example.org._realm KREALM "service" "imap"
example.com._realm KREALM "service" "host"
*._realm KREALM "service" "HTTP"

I do like this.  And although the mapping to DNS names as done here
looses the case of the realm, it is no problem, because RFC 4120
prescribes in 7.2.3.1 that "it is necessary that only one of the
possible combinations of upper- and lowercase characters be used in
realm names." -- so the case-sensitive realm name mapped to a
case-insensitive DNS-name as you do it here is supported by the Kerberos
specification.

Note my assumption -- you meant to lookup realm names under _realm
rather than the hostname of a server.

The cost of this is one more DNS query, but targeted at the precise
thing we're looking for, so no search pattern.

Defining a "service" tag in this manner makes it impossible to have a
catchall "realm" tag for an entire domain and apply it to everything.
But that was also the case with the initial proposal I made.  Drop
"service" tags and it does become possible.  We could debate whether it
is a good idea to always specify the "service" tag and not make the
upward search that I've been looking to settle securely.  I suppose
maximum flexibility is desirable here; especially because the Kerberos
client is built into a protocol-specific client, so it'll know if the
service is available.  That in fact enables another approach, which is
to use service names as the index instead of realm names.

; Alternative approach
HTTP._ksvc KREALM "realm" "EXAMPLE.COM"
HTTP._ksvc KREALM "realm" "EXAMPLE.ORG"
imap._ksvc KREALM "realm" "EXAMPLE.ORG"

The client could now lookup the service that it knows it should use,
under the server's name.  So http://www.example.com would query for
KREALM at HTTP._realm.www.example.com -- again a pattern that won't work
well with wildcards that capture an entire domain, and again that's
related to defining a service in the first place; a wildcard KREALM
would refer everything but this record might be overridden for services,
which feels right.

Notes: I'm not sure if case distinction is getting a problem here.  I'm
assuming the service name doesn't need an underscore prefix, but I don't
know the habits here, SRV does it of course.

> If the realm isn't really "at" $ORIGIN, a CNAME reference might be
> appropriate.

Hmm, that sounds like a nest of hornets to me, but it might work.  I'm
not sure it is the best way though; references should contain their
KREALM explicitly and point at the realm name, and KREALM records
defining a home location for kerberos are always going to be local to
the DNS-name that they sort-of claim to hold.