Re: [ESDS] Proposed Charter - 2nd update

Mark Harrison <mark.harrison@cantab.net> Mon, 29 September 2008 10:28 UTC

From: Mark Harrison <mark.harrison@cantab.net>
To: Miguel Angel Guijarro Moreno <maguijarro@at4wireless.com>, esds@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:27:57 +0100
Subject: Re: [ESDS] Proposed Charter - 2nd update
Sender: esds-bounces@ietf.org

Dear Miguel Angel,

Thanks for posting this helpful remark.  I agree with what you are
saying.

As you know, Discovery Services are intended to provide serial-level
lookup to find multiple information resources for a particular
identifier.  I am sure that the ESDS protocol efforts would not want
to restrict this to exclusively identifiers that are encoded in RFID
tags, nor to only support identifiers that can already be encoded as
an Electronic Product Code (EPC) using the existing identifier schemes
that it currently supports (although the EPC is designed to be
extensible to support additional identifier schemes in the future).

There are already many examples that argue for supporting a broader
range of identifiers and identification technologies:

For tracking of pharmaceuticals at item level, some pilots (such as
the one in the BRIDGE project) use a mix of RFID technology (at case
and pallet level) and DataMatrix 2-D barcodes at the item-level.  It
is even possible to laser etch a unique DataMatrix symbol onto an
individual tablet - whereas it is clearly not desirable to embed
miniature RFID tags inside objects that are to be ingested.

In the USA, legislation such as the TREAD act of 2000 is motivating
activity in tracking of vehicle tyres.  Currently, in the USA, tyres
are identified by a Tire Identification Number (TIN) - although the
TIN really only identifies the production batch, rather than being a
fully serialized identifier that is unique for an individual tyre.
The AIAG (Automotive Industry Action Group) has developed their B-11
standard for tyre identification, with the intention that it can be
encoded in either an embedded RFID tag or within a DataMatrix symbol.
Both ISO and EPCglobal have been involved in the discussions with the
AIAG.  However, the current version of EPCglobal's Tag Data Standard
does not yet include an EPC representation of either the TIN or the
AIAG's B-11 tyre identifier.

As you point out, it is essential that a protocol for Discovery
Services should be agnostic about the identification technology and
should be able to support multiple families of identifiers.  Regarding
the latter point, it is important to avoid collisions between
syntactically identical identifiers from different identifier
families.  To qualify the context or namespace of each identifier, we
can construct a URI, in which each namespace has a distinct URI
prefix.  There have already been a few helpful postings on this ESDS
list about that topic.

It would still be very helpful if industry end-users on this mailing
list could provide details of the kinds of objects that they need to
track (or for which they need assistance in gathering complete
lifecycle information from multiple organisations), ideally with use
case descriptions and details of the identifier standards they use
currently and/or expect to use in the future, whether it uses RFID
technology or other Auto-ID technologies, whether it uses EPC
identifiers, GS1 identifiers or other identifiers.

Best regards,

- Mark