Re: [FECFRAME-PROTO] FEC performance stats - text

"Ulas Kozat" <ulas.kozat@gmail.com> Wed, 30 January 2008 20:13 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=BOkZxVnVabe7alGo8U6DODGFrFoLVEHMo0v2mIHpTM8=; b=d3gzrVVRsID4eArNF47hcUChltiMtL4ZBS64UUZ4RQQDsGooz5jxNLy5T7O50GLbDKLn2FzL/gqJUwveXPd53hC0dZWOxyOy0IgIcviTHs/R3k03Fsbe6CL7G243ml+G4mhPYnv11OYENPkO95RGfjNQkkLLxjl4i/EQSXsEYVM=
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:13:15 -0800
From: Ulas Kozat <ulas.kozat@gmail.com>
To: "Ali Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [FECFRAME-PROTO] FEC performance stats - text
Cc: fecframe-proto@ietf.org

I think we need to first mention why we put this monitoring and feedback
facility as a strong suggestion in the FEC framework, e.g. why it is hard if
not impossible to do at the RTP level. The second important point is to give
some examples of
possible feedback information. The third point is that we do not want to
limit the feedback signaling, it can be for accommodating a real-time
feedback need or a non-real time operation decisions.

Example 1 (non-real-time): Multiple FEC flows. Useful information can be
specifying how often a particular FEC flow actually helped the recovery
process.The information is reported to a 3rd box or back to the source.
Example 2 (real-time): Feedback information can be whether all the missing
symbols in a source block are recovered or not in a multicast or unicast
session. The information is reported back to the source, which then triggers
the early transmission of the next source block.
Example 3: Feedback information in terms of histogram of number of corrected
symbols per source block by the FEC scheme.

Ulas