Re: [hrpc] Mastodon, and the human rights consequences

Niels ten Oever <niels@article19.org> Sun, 16 April 2017 15:17 UTC

To: hrpc@irtf.org
From: Niels ten Oever <niels@article19.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 17:17:40 +0200
Subject: Re: [hrpc] Mastodon, and the human rights consequences

Hi Stephane,

I finally got around to experimenting with this, and I have to say this
looks really good after all experiments with Twitter alternatives
(Diaspora, etc).

Am still having a bit on an issue finding people, but that might also
just be me.

A thing that I found quite interesting was one of the slogans with which
people were annoucning their transition from Twitter to Mastodon:
'#ProtocolsNotPlatforms', which I think should appeal to many of use here.

What I was quite fascinated by is that you can not only export data (in
open formats) but also import data, so migration between is really
possible and doable (albeit with loss of followers).

All in all quite inspiring!

Cheers,

Niels

Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    2458 0B70 5C4A FD8A 9488
                   643A 0ED8 3F3A 468A C8B3