Re: [hrpc] 2nd Research Group Last Call for draft-irtf-hrpc-research

Niels ten Oever <niels@article19.org> Tue, 14 February 2017 11:46 UTC

To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, hrpc@irtf.org
From: Niels ten Oever <niels@article19.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 12:45:54 +0100
Subject: Re: [hrpc] 2nd Research Group Last Call for draft-irtf-hrpc-research

Hi Stephen,

On 02/13/2017 04:31 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> On 13/02/17 14:50, Niels ten Oever wrote:
>> Hi Stephen,
>>
>> On 02/10/2017 11:36 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>>>
>>> I flicked quickly through this but I didn't give it a
>>> full read-through. With so much change I hope someone does
>>> do that, but I don't have time right now sorry. As always
>>> (sorry:-) I have a few comments:
>>>
>>> - Abstract:
>>>
>>> I hate >1 para abstracts.
>>
>> Do you mean we should delete the hard return between these paras?:
>
> Well, you could, but I meant more that I think abstracts should
> be a *short* one paragraph description of the content. I don't
> think you end up with that by merging these paragraphs.
>
> IOW, please synopsize harder:-)
>
> That said, this is just a style thing.

I think you _are_ right. What about this:

This document aims to propose guidelines for human rights
considerations, similar to the work done on the guidelines for privacy
considerations {{RFC6973}}. If you want to apply this work to your own,
you can directly go to <xref
target="model-for-developing-human-rights-protocol-considerations" />.
The rest of the document explains the background of the guidelines and
how they were developed.

>> This document aims to propose guidelines for human rights
>> considerations, similar to the work done on the guidelines for privacy
>> considerations {{RFC6973}}. This is achieved by providing a proposal for
>> a vocabulary to discuss the relation between human rights and Internet
>> protocols, an overview of the discussion in technical and academic
>> literature and communities, a proposal for the mapping of the relation
>> between human rights and technical concepts, as well as guidelines.
>>

>> If you want to see how to apply this work to your own, you can directly
>> go to <xref
>> target="model-for-developing-human-rights-protocol-considerations" />.
>> The rest of the document explains the background of the guidelines and
>> how they were developed.
>>
>> I think it adds to readability and giving people what they need, but if
>> you feel strongly....
>>
>> The rest of the abstract is mostly boilerplate text, merging that with
>> the above doesn't seem very useful to me.
>>

>> It also seems wrong at this point
>>> for the document to say that it "aims to be a consensus
>>> document" - but maybe the intent was to change that to
>>> "this represents RG consensus" after Avri calls the result
>>> of the 2nd LC?
>>
>> Exactly
>>

>>> - section 4:
>>>
>>> This bit needs fixing: "if the IETF were to bake the UDHR
>>> into its protocols, countries who do not agree with that
>>> might completely withdraw from the standard setting process."
>>> Countries do not participate in the IETF's process so this
>>> makes no sense. I'd also not like s/countries/people from
>>> countries/ as that assumes all a country's citizens agree
>>> with something at once. I'd delete that argument, reducing
>>> to three arguments, which is enough.
>>>

>> OK - removed.
>>
>>> - later in section 4:
>>>
>>> "Our position is..." I'm not at all sure that's appropriate
>>> language for a document that claims to have rough consensus.
>>> I'm also not at all sure that the rest of that para does in
>>> fact represent rough consensus of the RG.
>>
>> You think this does not represent the rough consensus of the RG ?
>
> See below wrt the text that follows this phrase...
>
> The "Our position is..." phrase is problematic regardless.
>
> If the rest of the para does represent RG consensus then
> there's no need for the problematic phrase. You could
> delete it, or s/Our/The RG's/ and it'd be ok.

The RG was meant all the time, so I indeed changed in into 'RG's'.

> If the rest of the para does not represent RG consensus
> then I'm not sure why the authors' divergent opinions are
> being presented, and if they are, it'd be better to be
> clearer about that position not being part of the RG
> consensus. And to also be as clear if there are any other
> similar bits of text. (And it'd probably be good to be
> consistently clear in how that's done too:-)
>
>> This
>> has been in here for quite a while, and I haven't heard many people
>> arguing against this position:
>>
>> ... hard-coding human rights into protocols is complicated and changes
>> with the context. At this point is difficult to say whether hard-coding
>> human rights into protocols is wise or feasible.
>
> The rest of that paragraph is much longer than that. And yes,
> I'm not convinced that all of the rest of that para does
> represent RG consensus, for example the last sentence which
> says:
>
>   "In addition, it
>    ensures that the impact of specific protocol on human rights is
>    carefully considered and that concrete design decisions are
>    documented in the protocol."
>
> I'd be surprised if that "ensures" was widely accepted. I
> don't buy it anyway;-)

Changed into:

In addition, it contributes to the careful consideration of the impact
that a specific protocol might have on human rights and that concrete
design decisions are documented in the protocol.

> While this specific point isn't mega-important, since it's
> fairly obvious that we can't often "ensure" stuff like this
> gets done, I'm raising it as it could be indicative of
> two relatively new to the process authors not quite getting
> how RG consensus ought be reflected in a draft that claims
> to represent the RG consensus. (And yes, apologies for not
> raising this before.)
>
> Note that I'm not accusing you guys of anything here, (we
> have an odd process, and this is an odd document even in
> that odd process, and this bit of text is an even odder
> corner case in that pile of oddity;-) but if there are
> other bits of text that you think represent your opinion
> but not the RG consensus (or where Avri thinks that) then
> it'd be good to call those out in some consistent and
> very clear manner, or to remove the text. I haven't gone
> through the whole doc looking for that kind of text and
> I'm not sure if anyone else has. My feeble excuse for not
> having done that is that as I said before I think this'd
> have been better not aiming to be an RG consensus document:-)
> And I'm willing to believe you/Avri if told that you had a
> look and there are in fact no other bits of text like that.
>
> If this turns out to be the only bit of text like this,
> then I'd also wonder if it's really worth including.

I hope it's fixed, and I don't think there are any diverging views
between RG and authors in the dock, and I also think there is no
language left that implies that. But always happy to address unclarities
of course.

Thanks for being patient with these two
relatively-new-to-the-process-authors :)

Cheers,

Niels