Re: [icnrg] Beach reading!

"David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net> Sat, 17 August 2019 14:38 UTC

From: "David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net>
To: Dirk Kutscher <ietf@dkutscher.net>
Cc: ICNRG <icnrg@irtf.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 07:38:24 -0700
Subject: Re: [icnrg] Beach reading!

Just getting to this - sorry for delay - deadlines…
Thanks much for the comments. Keep them coming!

On 12 Aug 2019, at 5:47, Dirk Kutscher wrote:

> Thanks for putting this together — nice reading indeed!
>
> No major objections — just a few thoughts:
>
> 1) The drafts mentions that in ICN, we may be able to leverage a richer set of forwarding behaviour that could be applied to equivalence classes. You didn’t use the term “forwarding strategy”, but it seems that ICN-QoS could effectively enable indirect control of link/storage/compute resources as well as of forwarding strategy decisions (for example, apply in-network INTEREST retransmissions, multicasting etc. for some classes). (Just wondered, whether you tried to avoid term deliberately.)

Gee…I thought I did. Here’s the text:

“Therefore, there are greenfield possibilities for more powerful QoS treatment options in ICN. For example, IP has no way to express a QoS treatment like "try hard to deliver reliably, even at the expense of delay or bandwidth". Such a QoS treatment for ICN could invoke native ICN mechanisms, none of which are present in IP, such as:
	* In-network retransmission in response to hop-by-hop errors returned from upstream forwarders
	* Trying multiple paths to multiple content sources either in parallel or serially
	* Higher precedence for short-term caching to recover from downstream errors
Such mechanisms are typically described in NDN and CCNx as forwarding strategies. However, little or no guidance is given for what application actions or protocol machinery is used to decide which forwarding strategy to use for which Interests that arrive at a forwarder. See [BenAbraham2018] for an investigation of these issues. Associating forwarding strategies with the equivalence classes and QoS treatments directly can make them more accessible and useful to implement and deploy”

I’m happy to include more examples, but this does seem to cover what you’re mentioning above.

> 2) On the control of cache resources, I agree that you don’t want to put consumer in *direct* control of cache resources. However, there could be circumstances where caching behaviour would be quite relevant to QoS-related forwarding. I am thinking of consumer mobility or critical IoT communication, where in-network repair would be useful. In such cases, the producers would not necessarily know what’s best with respect to caching, so there could be some value in a *indirect* consumer control/indication scheme for caching?

Yeah, I think I was too cavalier here. it’s actually a two-ended problem. Producers care about server load reduction and robustness against temporary disconnection or failure of servers. Consumers care about latency and temporary disconnection from their net at their end.

Consumers should be able to:
- advise upstream forwarders close to them to try to cache as a hedge against upstream disconnection
- advise forwarders at likely join points of a mobile edge to try to cache to reduce latency after a mobility event.

I suspect this can be done without any special cache-relay directives and be folded into QoS treatments related to latency and robustness. Interest steering could also play a role but since we don’t have any ICNRG drafts on that I don’t plan on mentioning it.

I’ll come up with some better text for the next version.