Compliance with Recent U.S. Export Regulations

IETF Administration LLC Board of Directors Chair <llc-board-chair@ietf.org> Thu, 30 May 2019 16:29 UTC

From: IETF Administration LLC Board of Directors Chair <llc-board-chair@ietf.org>
To: IETF Announcement List <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Subject: Compliance with Recent U.S. Export Regulations
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 09:29:37 -0700

The IETF LLC is based in the United States and as such must comply with U.S. law, as well as the laws of other countries as applicable. The U.S. Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) recently announced a rule that placed Huawei and certain Huawei affiliates on the “Entity List” -- a list of companies that are subject to special licensing requirements under the U.S. Export Administration Regulations (EAR).[1] Subsequently, on May 20, 2019, the BIS issued a “Temporary General License,” adjusting some of these requirements for a period of 90 days.[2] The rules issued on May 20th specifically cite 5G-related standardization work in the IETF as an area subject to the new temporary license.[3]

The EAR generally do not apply to information that is published or that is submitted in connection with a process that is intended to result in open publications or presentations.[4] Given the public nature of IETF, IRTF, and IAB activities and the fact that our output is freely published online, the EAR are thus largely inapplicable to our materials and activities. So, the addition of Huawei and Huawei affiliates to the Entity List -- an action which affects only materials that would otherwise be governed by the EAR -- has little impact on the IETF.

After consultation with legal counsel, we have concluded that, given current circumstances, we see no need to change our existing practices. We will continue to monitor the situation carefully, and will work with counsel and the IETF leadership teams to address any “corner cases” that may emerge and raise unique concerns. For IETF contributors that believe they may be affected, we recommend you consult your own legal counsel.

Regards,
Jason Livingood
Chair, IETF LLC Board
LLC-Board-Chair@ietf.org

[1] https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/05/21/2019-10616/addition-of-entities-to-the-entity-list

[2] https://www.commerce.gov/news/press-releases/2019/05/department-commerce-issues-limited-exemptions-huawei-products

[3] https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/documents/regulations-docs/2396-temporary-general-license-rule/file

[4] See 15 CFR § 734.7(a)(4) and (a)(5) at https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/15/734.7

++++++++++ How to Contact the IETF LLC ++++++++++
Executive Director: Exec-Director@ietf.org
Sponsorship: sponsorship@ietf.org
Board: LLC-Board@ietf.org

++++++++++ General IETF LLC Board Background ++++++++++
About the IETF LLC: https://www.ietf.org/about/administration/