Re: [IPsec] Clarification on identities involved in IKEv2EAPauthentication

Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com> Wed, 11 November 2009 14:11 UTC

From: Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com>
To: "Srinivasu S R S Dhulipala (srinid)" <srinid@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:12:11 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "ipsec@ietf.org" <ipsec@ietf.org>, "Amjad Inamdar (amjads)" <amjads@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Clarification on identities involved in IKEv2EAPauthentication

The text is a little vague here, because the draft only describes the use of EAP, and does not mandate anything for an AAA server.

If the gateway is also the EAP authenticator, then it makes no sense to send the identity request, because the reply has already been received in packet #3.

If the EAP authenticator is separate, it still does not make sense, as the gateway could have passed the identity hint to the authenticator. But some AAA servers always begin a session by requesting an identity. We don't want to make their use a SHOULD NOT. We don't want to mandate anything for them. So we accept that some servers may send an identity request even though the hint is already given.

Since the gateway acts as a pass-through, the requirement here is more for the client, which is typically more integrated. The client should be prepared to give an identity hint both in IKE and later in the EAP session.