Re: [ire] Escrow deposit watermark

Thomas Corte <Thomas.Corte@knipp.de> Thu, 21 March 2013 09:35 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:35:16 +0100
From: Thomas Corte <Thomas.Corte@knipp.de>
To: ire@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ire] Escrow deposit watermark

Hello,

on Wed, 20 Mar 2013, Bhadresh Modi <bmodi@afilias.info> wrote:

> We've had the same concern and some of our account managers have
> raised the issue before with icann.
>
> Another thing to point out is that even if all processes to esrow all
> registries are started at 00:00 UTC with that watermark, there may be
> a problem which causes an escrow to fail.  Restarting the process
> then will begin a new escrow but it may be impossible to return to
> the state at exactly 00:00 UTC.  Again as pointed out before, this
> new deposit file would contain all information as of 00:00 UTC and
> also include any new transactions taken place after that time.

Frankly, I'm quite surprised by this simplistic approach to Escrow
generation (which inevitably leads to the problem you're describing),
which seems to have been taken by other backend providers, too.

In order to achieve what the applicant guide book demands (and which has
been a requirement in previous Escrow specifications issued by ICANN btw),
it is of course essential that a registry maintains a detailed version
history of all repository objects, each object version carrying the start
and end date/time of its validity. Only this allows taking a snapshot of
the registry database for a given time stamp and, in turn, creating a
precise escrow, regardless of when the Escrow is produced.

While I recognize that having an Escrow for an exact date and time is
probably more a formal than a practical matter, I think it is questionable
to simply disregard this requirement from the applicant guidebook. After
all, other applicants and their backend providers (such as the company I
am working for) *do* adhere to the specification, and had to go to great
length in order to achieve that. Simply asking ICANN to alter the spec for
simplification purposes means gaining an unfair competitive advantage over
those backend providers who decided to add the required sophistication to
their systems.

Best regards,

Thomas Corte

      |       |
      | knipp |            Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                    Technologiepark
                                  Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                  44227 Dortmund
                                  Germany

      Dipl.-Informatiker          Fon:    +49 231 9703-0
      Thomas Corte                Fax:    +49 231 9703-200
      Senior Software Developer   SIP:    Thomas.Corte@knipp.de
                                  E-Mail: Thomas.Corte@knipp.de

                                  Register Court:
                                  District Court Dortmund, HRB 13728