[ldapext] New LDAPEXT charter

Mark R Bannister <dbis@proseconsulting.co.uk> Wed, 18 November 2015 16:02 UTC

To: ldapext <ldapext@ietf.org>
From: Mark R Bannister <dbis@proseconsulting.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 16:01:04 +0000
Subject: [ldapext] New LDAPEXT charter

Hi,

Further to the announcement of the new LDAPEXT charter at LDAPCon next
week, please can I confirm that this will continue to be the mailing
list for those discussions, or is a new mailing list being set-up?

When will the new charter be published for all to see and comment on?

Also, I understood from last week that RFC2307bis will be on the
charter, but DBIS (which is intended as its replacement) will not be,
and the reasons given were:

1. There is only a single implementation.
2. It would take more than a year to complete.

I'm a bit puzzled by (1), as I'm sure there are RFCs based on single
implementations.  However, clarification of that rule will be helpful.
It will be very hard to convince others to produce their own software
implementations of DBIS if the reference implementation already
available does the job, so I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the
rule.

Re (2), given the internet drafts are already written and the reference
implementation is complete and fully functional, I fail to see where the
evidence comes from that suggests it will take more than 1 year to
complete?  Can you please provide a breakdown of the steps that would be
involved and why you think DBIS will take more than 1 year.

I am in conversation at the moment with others regarding further
features that could be introduced into DBIS to make it even better, I
hope to bring those conversations to this mailing list soon, as I would
be very interested in soliciting more opinions on this subject.

Thanks & regards,
Mark Bannister.