Re: [lp-wan] SCHC over LoRaWAN review

<dominique.barthel@orange.com> Wed, 05 June 2019 15:56 UTC

From: dominique.barthel@orange.com
To: Laurent Toutain <laurent.toutain@imt-atlantique.fr>, lp-wan <lp-wan@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 15:56:39 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.247]
Subject: Re: [lp-wan] SCHC over LoRaWAN review

Hello Laurent,

Having discussed it with the authors, I feel I can answer some of your questions.
The concatanation of the Fport byte and the few bits following constitute the Rule ID. The number of "few bits" is variable based on the first (Fport) byte, therefore we have a variable-length RuleID.
In order to be more in the spirit of the generic SCHC description draft, I suggest that the RuleID be described in the schc-over-LoRaWAN draft the following way

  *   The Rule ID is  of variable length
  *   The RuleID field spans the Fport byte and a few following bits of the LoRaWAN frame
  *   Only some values of the RuleID's most significant byte (=Fport) are allowed, namely  ...
  *   For each of these values, the RuleID is … bits long, the Rule is fragmentation or compression, etc …

Dominique