Re: [lp-wan] ACK compression

<dominique.barthel@orange.com> Tue, 20 August 2019 12:36 UTC

From: dominique.barthel@orange.com
To: Olivier Gimenez <ogimenez@semtech.com>, "lp-wan@ietf.org" <lp-wan@ietf.org>
CC: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 12:36:00 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.247]
Subject: Re: [lp-wan] ACK compression

By " and it costs a bit more to compress out 0's." , I meant " and it costs somewhat more to compress out 0's.", not literally one bit.

Dominique

De : lp-wan <lp-wan-bounces@ietf.org<mailto:lp-wan-bounces@ietf.org>> on behalf of Dominique Barthel <dominique.barthel@orange.com<mailto:dominique.barthel@orange.com>>
Date : Tuesday 20 August 2019 14:29
À : Olivier Gimenez <ogimenez@semtech.com<mailto:ogimenez@semtech.com>>, "lp-wan@ietf.org<mailto:lp-wan@ietf.org>" <lp-wan@ietf.org<mailto:lp-wan@ietf.org>>
Cc : Pascal Thubert <pthubert@cisco.com<mailto:pthubert@cisco.com>>
Objet : Re: [lp-wan] ACK compression

Hello Olivier,

Thanks for reviving this thread, and thanks for proposing a contribution.
I agree with Pascal, your algorithm needs further improvement.
For example, if I use your proposed algorithm to compress the following two bitmaps, they both result in the same compressed bitmap. How is the receiver going to decide which one was the orignal one?
Pascal's proposed step 3.5 is one way of solving this issue. However, it adds one bit to the  compressed bitmap (before padding). Maybe this is not a big deal. Another way is to create an exception in the encoding, so that is does not cost more than the current algorithm to compress out 1's, and it costs a bit more to compress out 0's.
Also, beware of the SCHC Receiver -Abort which is already an exception in the SCHC ACK encoding. Whatever you propose must be distinguishable from a SCHC Receiver-Abort, or the SCHC Receiver-Abort must be changed as well.
Best regards

Dominique

   |---- SCHC ACK Header ----|--------      Bitmap     --------|

             |-- T --|-M-| 1 |

   +--- ... -+- ... -+---+---+---------------------------------+

   | Rule ID |  DTag | W |C=0|1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|

   +--- ... -+- ... -+---+---+---------------------------------+

           next L2 Word boundary ->|

   |---- SCHC ACK Header ----|--------      Bitmap     --------|

             |-- T --|-M-| 1 |

   +--- ... -+- ... -+---+---+---------------------------------+

   | Rule ID |  DTag | W |C=0|1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|

           next L2 Word boundary ->|

Both result in the same compressed bitmap:

   |---- SCHC ACK Header ----|CpBmp|

   | Rule ID |  DTag | W |C=0|1 0 1|

           next L2 Word boundary ->|