[Manet-dt] Re: [manet] Need for DPD header (SMF document discussion) - ValidReason for Tagger ID

Brian Adamson <adamson@itd.nrl.navy.mil> Wed, 02 May 2007 16:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 12:37:43 -0400
To: manet@ietf.org, manet-dt@ietf.org
From: Brian Adamson <adamson@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: [Manet-dt] Re: [manet] Need for DPD header (SMF document discussion) - ValidReason for Tagger ID

Charlie, Teco

Do either you have implementations of hash or packet lookup
approaches that we could try or incorporate into our "nrlsmf"
implementation so we can look at the performance/computation
complexity/space trade-offs more?

I am concerned that complexity/space needed for these approaches may
be prohibitive for some applications (and I am curious about the
performance of the hash to not have false duplicates) compared to our
current approach.  But I am not opposed to allowing for both
approaches to be specified or options if appropriate.

The other issue is that imposing a requirement on applications to
generate unique packet payloads (while probably generally good
practice) may be inappropriate for a network layer specification?

Also, Teco had mentioned in an earlier email he was concerned that "a bit table
with packets received with offsets to a sequence number base (as often used
in IPsec replay detection code) is not usable" ... I am not sure if
that comment was limited to the fragmentation issue that was being
discussed or with regard to SMF DPD in general?  We have used this
sort of approach successfully with IPv4 and IPv6 in fairly extensive
laboratory and field tests for the past few years (although not with
any fragmentation).  However, it is not strictly a a packet bit mask,
a timer is used to detect/prune stale packet flows as well, and there
is a strategy involved to allow for the bitmask to provide a sort of
"sliding window"

--
Brian