Re: Revision of RFC 1494 - Teletex mapping?

Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no Wed, 11 January 1995 09:11 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
To: Ned Freed <NED@sigurd.innosoft.com>
cc: csg@hideji.worldtalk.com, mime-mhs@surfnet.nl
Subject: Re: Revision of RFC 1494 - Teletex mapping?
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 10:00:10 +0100

I used to work on a Teletex implementation way back in the dark
ages (1984 or thereabouts).
As far as I remember, character set switching was added to support
Japanese; I guess some people will get violent fits if we take it out
again.
In native Teletex, you can negotiate the capability away, but we don't
have that luxury in a message-passing environment.

According to X.208/1993 (off the ITU server), the TeletexString aka
T61string allows sets 87, 102, 103, 106 and 107, plus SPACE and DELETE.
87 is Japanese C6226-1983; 102 is == ASCII again; 103 is Latin
set with floating accents; 106 and 107 are the control sets, I believe.
I've heard rumours of people adding to or subtracting from this set in
various fora, and not necessarily speaking to each other; Greek was in
at one point, but is not listed here.

OIWs are, after all, North American standards.

(The Teletex control character set also has sequences to switch layout
between horizontal and vertical mode; imagine THAT in the middle of a page..)

            harald A