Re: [MMUSIC] base64 and datetimes in 2326bis

Claudio Allocchio <Claudio.Allocchio@garr.it> Tue, 08 October 2013 14:07 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 16:06:35 +0200
From: Claudio Allocchio <Claudio.Allocchio@garr.it>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Cc: mmusic@ietf.org, Claudio Allocchio <Claudio.Allocchio@garr.it>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] base64 and datetimes in 2326bis

Hi all,

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Magnus Westerlund wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Claudio Allocchio sent a private comment regarding the NPT formats
> definition in Section 4.4.2 having similar format issues like Section
> 4.4.3. This has resulted in my attempting to write a clearer
> specification. In that work it is clear that this format is not really
> using ISO 8601 syntax. I have attempted to try to make clear this in the
> below new definition of NPT syntax.
>
>  The syntax is based on ISO 8601 [ISO.8601.2000].  Two different
>   notations are allowed.  The npt-hhmmss notation are using a ISO 8601
>   extended complete representation of the time of the day format
>   (Section 5.3.1.1 of [ISO.8601.2000]) using colon (":") as separators
>   between hours, minutes and seconds (hh:mm:ss).  With the exception
>   that it expresses duration since presentation start rather than time
>   since midnight and the hour counter is not limited to 0-24 hours,
>   instead up to nineteen (19) digits of hours are allowed.

OK, tha above is very clear now.

>   ISO 8601
>   time format requires all digits to be used for each format, and all
>   format required needs to be included, e.g. if one use a hh:mm:ss
>   format, then that requires two digits for hours, two digits for
>   minutes and two digits for second, a time value such as 7 minutes and
>   0 seconds, needs to be expressed as 00:07:00.  The npt-sec notation

Minor comment: you could user "MUST" instead of "needs" in the above, as a
normative statement, too. It is "minor" anyhow because you're referring to
an external specification here.

>   is expressing the duration since presentation start in seconds, using
>   one to nineteen (19) digits.  Both notations allows decimal fractions
>   of seconds as specified in Section 5.3.1.3 of [ISO.8601.2000] with
>   the limitation of at maximum of 9 digits and only allowing "." (full
>   stop) as separator.  Due to RTSP 1.0 and the fact that the highest
>   values are expanded beyond two digits, all implementations must allow

this is an uppercase "MUST" normative statement.

>   the highest value to be single digit and SHALL NOT send leading zeros
>   for hours in the npt-hhmmss notation and leading zeros for seconds in
>   the ntp-sec notation.  The hours and the seconds in the npt-hhmmss
>   notation SHALL be sent using leading zeros, but receivers SHALL
>   accept values without leading zeros.
>
> So please review this and provide feedback on also this change.

se above ;-)

> [...]
>>>
>>> clock=19961108T143720.25Z-19961108T144725.25Z
>>> Time-Limited=20141224T1500Z time=20130618T161256Z
>>>
>>> ISO 8601 has many profiles. Is the profile defined in RFC 3339
>>> supported? That would result in a datetime of the following form:
>>>
>>> 1996-11-08T14:37:20.25Z
>>>
>>> Also are timezone offsets allowed?
>>>
>>> If the answers are "no" then it would be good to explain that in
>>> the text.
>>
>> The answers are no on both accounts. The reasons is really the ABNF
>> syntax specified since RTSP 1.0 for this. Thus, I have written a new
>> more complete specification for this time format that matches the ABNF
>> and still uses ISO 8601 relevant sections for some clarifications and
>> specifications. Feedback are much appreciated if you think this is
>> complete.
>>
>> 4.4.3.  Absolute Time
>>
>>    Absolute time is expressed following a specific types of ISO 8601
>>    [ISO.8601.2000] based timestamps.  The date is complete
>>    representation calendar date in basic format (YYYYMMDD) without
>>    separators (per Section 5.2.1.1 of [ISO.8601.2000]).  The time of day
>>    is provided in the complete representation basic format (hhmmss) as
>>    specified in Section 5.3.1.1 of [ISO.8601.2000], allowing decimal
>>    fractions of seconds following Section 5.3.1.3 requiring "." (full
>>    stop) as decimal separator and limiting the number of digits to no
>>    more than nine (9).  The time expressed MUST be using UTC (GMT), i.e.
>>    no timezone offsets allowed.  The full date and time specification is
>>    the eight digit date followed by a "T" followed by the six digits
>>    time value, optionally followed by a full stop followed by one to
>>    nine fractions of a second and ended by "Z", e.g.
>>    YYYYMMDDThhmmss.ssZ.
>>
>>       The reason for this time format rather than using "Date and Time
>>       on the Internet: Timestamps" [RFC3339] are historic and using the
>>       format specified in RTSP 1.0.  The motivations raised in RFC 3339
>>       applies to why a selection from ISO 8601 was done, but a different
>>       and even more restrictive selection was applied in this case.
>>
>>    Example for clock format range request for a starting time of
>>    November 8, 1996 at 14h 37 min and 20 and a quarter seconds UTC
>>    playing for 10 min and 5 seconds, a Media-Properties header's "Time-
>>    Limited UTC property for 24th of December 2014 at 15 hours and 00
>>    mins, and a Terminate-Readon headers "time" property for 18th of June
>>    2013 at 16 hours, 12 minutes and 56 seconds:
>>
>>      clock=19961108T143720.25Z-19961108T144725.25Z
>>      Time-Limited=20141224T1500Z
>>      time=20130618T161256Z
>>

>> cheers
>>
>> Magnus Westerlund

>> Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
>>

> --
>
> Magnus Westerlund

> Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
> Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
> Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079

Claudio Allocchio             G   A   R   R          Claudio.Allocchio@garr.it
                         Senior Technical Officer
tel: +39 040 3758523      Italian Academic and       G=Claudio; S=Allocchio;
fax: +39 040 3758565        Research Network         P=garr; A=garr; C=it;

            PGP Key: http://www.cert.garr.it/PGP/keys.php3#ca