Re: [mpls] wg last call on ethernet-addressing drafts

Lizhong Jin<lizhong.jin@zte.com.cn> Tue, 23 October 2012 02:32 UTC

To: stbryant@cisco.com
From: Lizhong Jin <lizhong.jin@zte.com.cn>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 10:32:37 +0800
Cc: mpls@ietf.org, ahmpls-tp@lists.itu.int
Subject: Re: [mpls] wg last call on ethernet-addressing drafts

Hi Stewart,
Please see inline below.

Thanks
Lizhong

Stewart Bryant <stbryant@cisco.com> wrote 2012/10/22 23:43:41:

> On 11/06/2012 09:55, Lizhong Jin wrote:
>
> Hi authors,
> I review draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ethernet-addressing, and have two comments:
> 1. When advertising the MAC address in "Ethernet Interface
> Parameters" ADB, I think Interface Identifier TLV in "G-ACh
> Advertisement Protocol" ADB should also be carried. Is there any
> required relationship of "Lifetime" in the two ADBs, should be same?
>
> It is not required to carry the identifier, since that identifier is
> not required by MPLS_TP.
> The protocol requires that you refresh the announcement, if you are
> going to carry the SA and the MAC in the same message it would make
> sense to give them the same lifetime, but the rule (clearly stated
> in the draft) is that you must refresh before information is
> expired, so as long as you refresh on the lower of the two you are
> OK, and it is not harmful to have them set differently if that makes
> sense in the particular application.
[Lizhong] clear, thanks.

> 2. For the "Ethernet Interface Parameters" application, is it
> allowed to apply GAP Request, Flush or Suppress message specified in
> [I-D.ietf-mpls-gach-adv]? E.g, to use GAP Request to request MAC
address.
> Yes if it makes sense in your application. I can see that you might
> for example suppress the MAC address refresh and rely on your peer
> to over-ride the request if the address changed.
>
> I am not sure why this needs clarification since the Ethernet draft
> inherits the rules of the GAP protocol.
[Lizhong] in section 4, all the description is for application "0x0001",
while the request/suppress message in [I-D.ietf-mpls-gach-adv] is for
application "0x0000".
e.g, "This document defines a new GAP application, "Ethernet Interface
Parameters", to support the advertisement of Ethernet-specific parameters
associated with the sending interface."
It seems the procedure in section 4 only inherits the GAP message, but not
GAP application "0x0000". It would be good have some description to say,
the GAP application "0x0000" could be also applied to this draft.

loa.andersson@ericsson.com