Re: [mpls] draft-ietf-mpls-forwarding

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@ipv6.occnc.com> Fri, 21 February 2014 19:53 UTC

To: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@ipv6.occnc.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 14:50:48 -0500
Cc: mpls@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls] draft-ietf-mpls-forwarding

In message <003a01cf2f17$4eede300$4001a8c0@gateway.2wire.net>
"t.petch" writes:

> Curtis
>
> I just finished reading this - and see that the IESG have approved it.
> Ah well, perhaps the RFC Editor will be interested.

Approved with discussion so there will be some change before it hits
the editor queue.  It is up to the responsible AD to approve and
further change.

> s.1 /advise/advice/

Ooops - yeah.

>    CC-CV Connectivity Check and Connectivity Verification
> we have used Continuity Check elsewhere (e.g. mpls-tp-oam-framework)

I'm not sure what you are asking me to change.

> s2.3
>
> "For example, an on-chip buffer capable of handling 4K packets
>    of 64 bytes in length, or 256KB, corresponds to 2 msec on a 10 Mb/s"
>
> My maths is hopeless.   4K packets of 64byte is 256Kbyte which is
> 2048Kbit  on a 10Mbit/s link is 2048K divided by 10M/s which is '2mS' -
> why do I keep getting 200mS or 2dS?

Oops --

2048*10^3 bits / 10*10^6 bits/sec =
204.8 * 10^-6 sec ~= 200 * 10^-3 sec (200 msec).

I'll have to mention this on one of the IESG threads in which this was
brought up.

> s2.4.5.1 5)
> /closest to the bottom of stack/closer to the bottom of stack/

I meant closest.  The fat-pw label is at the very bottom.  The most
entropy is at the very bottom.  At least one chip today can search for
BOS, and use the bottom N (for very small value of N).

> s2.6.4
> we have used  Continuity Check elsewhere (e.g. mpls-tp-oam-framework)

Less demanding uses of CC don't dictate the hardware assist
requirements if you mean on-demand CC.  Not sure what you are getting
at.

> s3
> This is quite cryptic where no references are given, e.g. Q40 for
> Pseudowire OAM, MPLS-TP OAM, Layer-2 OAM Interworking

Ask the prior three questions (what is supported, performance limits,
consequence of exceeding performance limits) for each of those types
of OAM.  There is a reference to Section 2.6.2 where MPLS OAM is
described, though perhaps it should be to 2.6.

> Tom Petch

Thanks,

Curtis