Re: [Netconf] Confirmed commit

Jonathan Hansford <Jonathan@hansfords.net> Thu, 19 September 2013 20:07 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 21:07:17 +0100
From: Jonathan Hansford <Jonathan@hansfords.net>
To: netconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Netconf] Confirmed commit

After about two hours digging around in the NETCONF archive and then
a Google search on "confirmed commit", I've come to the conclusion
confirmed commit has come out of the JUNOS "commit confirmed" command.
My guess is the JUNOS command is shorthand for "revert this commit after
the timeout unless it is confirmed"; not exactly clear. Indeed, I would
have thought "commit confirmed" would be the command to confirm the
previous commit, though obviously that would overload the meaning of the
original "commit" command since it would not persist without the
confirmation.

But "confirmed commit" implies the commit has been
confirmed, not that it needs to be confirmed. Isn't this confusing to
anyone else?

Jonathan

On 2013-09-19 13:41, Jonathan Hansford wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am writing an Interface Definition Document that
references NETCONF but am struggling to explain the terminology
surrounding confirmed and confirming commits. From my reading, the
difference between a confirmed commit and a confirming commit is the
latter effectively marks the end of a transaction (running configuration
cannot be rolled back beyond the last confirming commit). Consequently,
it seems to me that a "confirmed commit" would be better described as an
"unconfirmed commit" since it is not confirmed until followed by a
"confirming commit". Can someone explain the choice of the current
terminology and correct any erroneous assumptions I have made?

Thanks,