[nfsv4] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs-05: (with COMMENT)

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Wed, 24 May 2017 22:43 UTC

From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs@ietf.org, Spencer Shepler <spencer.shepler@gmail.com>, nfsv4-chairs@ietf.org, spencer.shepler@gmail.com, nfsv4@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 15:43:15 -0700
Subject: [nfsv4] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs-05: (with COMMENT)

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs-05: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs/

COMMENT:

My understanding of draft-ietf-nfsv4-versioning is that extensions are
tightly bound to precisely one minor version of NFS, and become part of
the mandatory-to-understand (but not necessarily implement) XDR for the
next minor version. Based on this, I would expect any extension based on
the new scheme defined by draft-ietf-nfsv4-versioning to be exceeding
clear about which minor version they apply to (e.g., in the abstract,
introduction, and/or title -- ideally all three). I can infer that this
extension applies to 4.2 based on the timing of its publication request
and a few sidelong mentions of 4.2 in the text, but I think this really
needs to be more prominent.

Editorial:

- The code which is extracted from this document contains a copyright
date of 2012. Is that intentional?

- The "RFCTBD10" string in the code block in section 7.1 is highly likely
to be overlooked by the RFC production center in its final production
steps. I would recommend a note (either inline or as an RFC editor note
to accompany the document) that explicitly calls out a need to replace
this string.

- Please expand the acronym "ACE" on first use.