Remote device access VS service provision

Steve Smith <steve@next-s.lanl.gov> Fri, 24 July 1992 21:07 UTC

Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1992 14:19:24 -0600
From: Steve Smith <steve@next-s.lanl.gov>
To: print-wg@pa.dec.com
Subject: Remote device access VS service provision

Gang,

From some of the comments I have received, I have the general
impression that many of us approach printing (rendering images
to physical media) as access to a printing device and network
printing as remote, spooled access to a printing device.

I view it as provision of a service and that the features
of existing device represent, in their composition, an
approximation of the characteristics of the service.

A print service is more than access to a printer, a network
print service is more than spooled access to a printer.

Certainly even the two above are hard enough but adding
full-service characteristics to the model are important
in many applications.

How many of "us" are interested in "print services" rather
than "printer access" ?

I believe that presentation of a "print service" to clients
as "remote access" to a printer is powerful as it draws on
their existing understanding.  However, implementations that
restrict the available solutions to "access to a printer"
limit the service available.

Thanks for all the input so far... I'll be looking forward
to more.

- Steve