Re: [openpgp] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc4880bis-05.txt

"Derek Atkins" <derek@ihtfp.com> Fri, 27 July 2018 19:17 UTC

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 15:17:32 -0400
From: Derek Atkins <derek@ihtfp.com>
To: Paul Wouters <paul@nohats.ca>
Cc: openpgp@ietf.org, Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org>
Subject: Re: [openpgp] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc4880bis-05.txt

Paul --  don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Just because the change didn't make it into this version of the fraft
doesn't mean it wont change.  The conversation is, IMHO, far from over on
the topic, but Werner needed to get an update published so it didn't
expire.

So by all means, please continue the conversation.

Personally, I believe that a 2^56 block size is WAYYY to big.  Or even a
56-bit encoded block size.  I think blocks should be limited to 32 bits,
and recomended to be smaller.  On the other hand, a 1K block is IMHO way
too small for the default.  I think we need a happy medium.

Considering the size is upfront, a small device can know a priori whether
or not it can cache the block, so it should be able to fail early if it
gets a block too big to process.  And I think that's okay.

-derek