[OPS-DIR]draft-ietf-satp-architecture-10 ietf last call Opsdir review
Michael P via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 05 October 2026 14:31 UTC
Received: by mx.ietf.org (Postfix) id 85AC24B; Mon, 05 Oct 2026 14:31:28 +0000 (UTC)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=ietf.org; s=mail; t=1791210688; h=from:from:reply-to:reply-to:subject:subject:date:date: message-id:message-id:to:to:cc:cc:mime-version:mime-version: content-type:content-type: content-transfer-encoding:content-transfer-encoding; bh=A5Q10S8W1bEqiDIl1ejum1wNExDsdv/ZuHIlxxX6FpY=; b=H74bLbisQL5elaV2BwUtcvyYRDRIV8gsAr04WOFHLNR8QaTqxA5c1tDW8JoXxQ/+/+HTUb oWe4+BP4pRPD+fJQ/mti1q/+hLYhjlpehOB7sfcv3Q3TdLioa7chgw4JxCnMaecQo88sr5 33boR/ebw5DS51YpHr3IEyWS82C2aWc=
Authentication-Results: ORIGINATING; auth=pass smtp.auth=mail2@ietf.org smtp.mailfrom=noreply@ietf.org
Received: from [10.244.9.161] (gaia.k8s.ietf.org [4.156.85.76]) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 480F613A36BC3; Mon, 5 Oct 2026 07:31:28 -0700 (PDT)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
From: Michael P via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: ops-dir@ietf.org
X-Test-IDTracker: no
X-IETF-IDTracker: 12.79.1
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
Precedence: bulk
Message-ID: <179121068798.297740.15715953866784809352@dt-datatracker-6f6546fbc7-hm9tb>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2026 07:31:28 -0700
Message-ID-Hash: E6SBHNCWTHM63N26WVVZRYFWNCEELMZF
X-Message-ID-Hash: E6SBHNCWTHM63N26WVVZRYFWNCEELMZF
X-MailFrom: noreply@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; loop; banned-address; header-match-ops-dir.ietf.org-0; emergency; member-moderation; nonmember-moderation; administrivia; implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject; digests; suspicious-header
CC: draft-ietf-satp-architecture.all@ietf.org, last-call@ietf.org, sat@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.10
Reply-To: Michael P <michael.p1@ncsc.gov.uk>
Subject: [OPS-DIR]draft-ietf-satp-architecture-10 ietf last call Opsdir review
List-Id: Ops Directorate <ops-dir.ietf.org>
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ops-dir/u2UdbCNYnBVJ9_B0bxSOwgat1qA>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/ops-dir>
List-Help: <mailto:ops-dir-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:ops-dir-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:ops-dir@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:ops-dir-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:ops-dir-leave@ietf.org>
Document: draft-ietf-satp-architecture Title: Secure Asset Transfer (SAT) Interoperability Architecture Reviewer: Michael P Review result: Has Issues Hi, I have been selected as the Operational Directorate (opsdir) reviewer for this Internet-Draft. The Operational Directorate reviews all operational and management-related Internet-Drafts to ensure alignment with operational best practices and that adequate operational considerations are covered. A complete set of _"Guidelines for Considering Operations and Management in IETF Specifications"_ can be found at https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-rfc5706bis/. While these comments are primarily for the Operations and Management Area Directors (Ops ADs), the authors should consider them alongside other feedback received. - Document: draft-ietf-satp-architecture-10 - Reviewer: Michael P - Review Date: 2026-10-05 - Intended Status: Informational --- ## Minor Issues Thank you for the effort that has gone into this document. I've got a few points of feedback, all of which I'd consider minor and hope they can support the document. From an opsdir perspective, it would be nice to see an Operational Considerations section alongside the Security, Policy and Compatibility sections. As acknowledged in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-rfc5706bis/, this is only useful in architecture documents where new operational considerations with normative implications for downstream protocol designs are introduced. I do think this is the case here, there is already some mention of crash recovery, logging to recover from failure in the 2PC subprotocol, managing load, so I do think worth collecting such considerations in their own section. I'd see this as a nit, rather than an issue. Section 5 outlines assumptions. I think it would be useful for readers to have a bit more on how these could be or are currently achieved in practice, even if just a couple of references. The main issue that I'll raise is in the strength of some requirements. For example, in Section 9, we have "several steps that may occur in Stage 1", including Secure channel establishment, Transfer Proposal message etc. The current reading of that is that some of those steps could be removed, done elsewhere, or optionally included. I think the document can be more prescriptive on which steps are required for the protocol to complete with the required properties. On references, this document "seeks to rely on ISO 20022". I think worth highlighting whether the relevant parts of the standards are open to those who would operate this protocol if they are needed. Question on clarity of security properties, which impacts the management of gateway identities - one part of the document calls for secure channel establishment which includes mutual verification of device identities. Another part says we MUST use TLS1.3. Does this enforce use of mTLS or is the intention to be able to verify identity using other mechanisms? If the latter, examples may be useful. ---
- [OPS-DIR]draft-ietf-satp-architecture-10 ietf las… Michael P via Datatracker