[OPSEC] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-opsec-urpf-improvements-03: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 21 August 2019 14:24 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-opsec-urpf-improvements@ietf.org, Sandra Murphy <sandy@tislabs.com>, opsec-chairs@ietf.org, sandy@tislabs.com, opsec@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 07:24:36 -0700
Subject: [OPSEC] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-opsec-urpf-improvements-03: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsec-urpf-improvements-03: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-urpf-improvements/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the hard work put into this extensive document which is usually
well-written and easy to understand.

Sriram, also please to see this document completing its path after starting in
OPSEC years ago ;-)

Nevertheless, I have a couple of easy-to-fix COMMENTs and NITs.

Regards,

-éric

== COMMENTS ==

-- Abstract --
The abstract reads like 'promises' but not as a summary of the document. Is
there any chance to add 2 lines summarizing the 'how' ?

-- Section 1.1 --
I am sure that by now you know that you have to use RFC 8174 boilerplate ;-)

-- Section 2.2 --
For completeness and symmetry with section 2.3, please explain which packets
will be dropped.

-- Section 2.3 --
Suggestion: define "RPF list" before first use (even if mostly obvious).

Please define "lateral peer" and why it is different to any other "peer".

-- Section 3.1 --
Please define the "cone" used in this section. First time that I ever read this
term and the RIPE paper does not explain it either (of course I am not a
routing expert).

== NITS ==

-- Section 1 --
Beside the intro, this section also introduces some terminology wording. May I
suggest to have a (sub)section about "terminology" ?

-- Section 2.1 --
CMTS was introduced as an acronym but not DSLAM.