gateways from X.400 to Internet SMTP

Urs Eppenberger <Eppenberger@switch.ch> Fri, 09 April 1993 15:00 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1993 09:23:09 +0000
X400-Originator: cargille@cs.wisc.edu
X400-Recipients: non-disclosure:;
X400-MTS-Identifier: [/PRMD=XNREN/ADMD= /C=US/; mhs-relay..487:09.03.93.14.23.09]
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Urs Eppenberger <Eppenberger@switch.ch>
To: "/G=anne/S=Philpott/PRMD=GC+GTA.ATG/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/C=ca/" </G=anne/S=Philpott/PRMD=GC+GTA.ATG/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/C=ca/@cs.wisc.edu>
Cc: ietf-osi-x400ops <ietf-osi-x400ops@cs.wisc.edu>
Subject: gateways from X.400 to Internet SMTP

Hello Anne,

it is very encouraging to hear that you plan to upgrade your gateway to
RFC1327. I fully understand the concerns expressed by Harald, Claudio,
Erik and others. Nonconformant gateways are a headache for all postmasters
and email managers! It is better to have no connectivity at all than
messages with unrepliable originator addresses.

Connectivity to the Internet mail service is crucual for service providers.
I think that many gateway managers would offer help and support if the
mail traffic of your pilot service can be routed through conformant gateways.
I'm working for the MHS Coordination Service which coordinates the mapping
tables and X.400 routing for many networks which use X.400. Please let me know
if I can be of any assistance to your future RFC1327 project concerning
routing or addressing. If you do consider the option of using foreign
but gateways until your RFC1327 service is ready then I would be glad
to help you in finding some gateway managers which could offer you this
service in the mean time. (Claudio and Harald are more known in our community
for their willingness to help and assist email managers than for blaming
people on the distribution list for nonconformant gateways ;-))

Kind regards,

Urs Eppenberger, SWITCH, MHS Coordination Service