Re: draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-auth-04.txt

Acee Lindem <acee@REDBACK.COM> Wed, 07 July 2004 02:51 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:50:25 -0400
From: Acee Lindem <acee@REDBACK.COM>
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-auth-04.txt
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Hi Mitchell,
See inline.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Erblichs" <erblichs@EARTHLINK.NET>
To: <OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM>
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 8:12 PM

> Ace, et al,
>
>         I realize that this is a late comment..
>
>         Section 3. Authentication
>
>                 But this really applies throughout
>                 this doc.
>
>       "OSPF packets recieved ... MUST be dropped ..."
>
>         Their is no mention that I have seen that identifies
>         an appropriate MISMATCH message that allows the
>         recv'r administrator to correct this or other bad
>         configurations.

I don't think we should try and standardise logging and/or
log throttling mechanisms. The OSPFv2 MIB does define an
ospfIfAuthFailure trap and I would imagine that when traps
are added to the OSPFv3 MIB, this one would be included.
It might be ok to say add a general statement saying that there
should be some type of local auth failure notification and that
it would be a good idea to throttle them.

>         Also, can a OSPF router sychronize
>         or update its database with another router if a
>         percentage of its packets are dropped?

It depends on the percentage.

>         I keep on thinking that dropped msgs of this type
>         need to be tracked and as much information should
>         be logged about the xmit'er of the MISMATCHED pkt.
>
>         What happens if some OSPF packets are dropped from
>         a router and others are accepted?

It depends on which packets :^)

>         Thus, I would think and this is a bit extreme, if
>         a OSPF packet is recieved that has a mismatch in
>         any encryption or authentication field(s) from the
>         xmit router, the adjacency or its 2-way link status
>         should be dropped. The router can not be a trusted
>         router if some of its packets are untrusted and/or
>         its contents are unknown. Can it?
>         Yes, this is assuming that the router-id is known.

I disagree. Authentication should be done on a packet by packet
basis without OSPF trying to maintain any state other than what is
maintained by IPSEC itself.