Re: [PANRG] draft-rass-panrg-mpath-usecase

Yingzhen Qu <yingzhen.qu@huawei.com> Mon, 01 April 2019 21:45 UTC

From: Yingzhen Qu <yingzhen.qu@huawei.com>
To: "Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de" <Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de>, "stefan.rass@aau.at" <stefan.rass@aau.at>
CC: Lin Han <Lin.Han@huawei.com>, "panrg@irtf.org" <panrg@irtf.org>, "ietf@trammell.ch" <ietf@trammell.ch>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2019 21:45:18 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.209.216.117]
Subject: Re: [PANRG] draft-rass-panrg-mpath-usecase

Hi  Ruediger,

Thanks for your interests in our draft and comments at the mic during Stefan's presentation.

I didn't get a chance to answer your question during the presentation because of the shortness of time. If I understand right, you were suggesting to add different source and destination address to achieve multiple path, it is useful in some circumstances but I see some limitations. Let's take a single domain/AS as an example:

*        Adding more source and destination address, if IGP is used to calculate routing, then you still end up on the same route because of SPF.

*        This will require change on hosts because you can't use one TCP or MPTCP session.

Acrossing domains is more complicated, but the 2nd point still applies.

Thanks,
Yingzhen