[paws] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on draft-ietf-paws-protocol-19: (with COMMENT)

"Alissa Cooper" <alissa@cooperw.in> Wed, 24 September 2014 23:02 UTC

From: Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 16:02:15 -0700
Cc: paws@ietf.org, paws-chairs@tools.ietf.org, draft-ietf-paws-protocol@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [paws] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on draft-ietf-paws-protocol-19: (with COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-paws-protocol-19: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-paws-protocol/

COMMENT:

Thanks for all your work to address my DISCUSS!

= Shepherd write-up=
"An in-depth review by a JSON expert might be useful."

Did that happen?

= Section 1 =
"It opens the door for innovations in spectrum
   management that can incorporate a variety of parameters, including
   user location and time.  In the future, it also can include other
   parameters, such as user priority, time, signal type and power,
   spectrum supply and demand, payment or micro-auction bidding, and
   more."

Time seems to be listed both as a current parameter and a future one,
which is confusing.

= Section 4.4 =
"FCC rules, for example, require that a 'Fixed Device'
   register its owner and operator contact information, its device
   identifier, its location, and its antenna height."

It would be nice to have a citation for the rules referenced here.

= Section 5.1 =
Feel free to ignore this if it's completely misguided, but does altitude
really not matter? Are we sure this protocol won't be re-used for devices
on airplanes trying to find available spectrum? (I note that in RFC 6953,
requirement D.1 specifies that the data model must support "the height
and its uncertainty" -- I have no idea what "the height" means or if it
is related to altitude.)

= Section 10 =
I agree with Stephen that the database operator should be considered as a
potential adversary from the standpoint of potentially being able to
create a fine-grained database that tracks the locations and spectrum use
patterns of individual devices. That data could certainly be abused.