[Policy] RE: PCELS draft

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org> Wed, 11 February 2004 18:38 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:57:02 -0800
To: mpana@metasolv.com
From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org>
Cc: policy@ietf.org
Subject: [Policy] RE: PCELS draft
Sender: policy-admin@ietf.org

My point with 1) is that the I-D seems to be overly reliant on
formal language (RFC2252) description of the LDAP semantics.
That is, for an attribute type such as 'pcelsIsMirrored',
you should, in addition to providing the formal language
description, you should describe the LDAP semantics.  For
instance:
        The 'pcelsIsMirrored' attribute type is of syntax
        BOOLEAN [X.680] and has an equality matching rule
        of booleanMatch [ref].  Attributes of this type can
        only have a single value.

That is, you should include supporting prose.

My point with 2) is that, it appears to me, that you were relying
on comments within the formal language description to detail
an implementation requirement.  I suggest you replace all DESC
comments with something descriptive of the element (as oppose
to describing a restriction upon the element).
For instance, for pcelsIPHdrVersion,
        DESC 'HdrIpVersion property'
With 3), I think your suggested (in your second follow-up) is
better than the current text.

With 4), note that 'pcelsPriority' is only one of many attribute
types which are described as having defaults.  The issue (and
resolution) is applicable to each.   I think a general statement,
combined with removing any mention of defaults in DESC fields
(or replacing the field as suggested in 2), likely can adequately
resolve this issue.

With 5), I think you may also need to consider (if you haven't
so already) whether the set/list is represented in a single value
of the attribute or in multiple, if the latter, how implementations
are to compose/decompose the PCIM_EXT value from/to its LDAP
representation.

With 6, I am particular concerned that LDAP's matching semantics
may not be compatible with the application needs.  For instance,
pcelsIntegerList could contain multiple values each containing
different representations of the same integer (because these 3
and 03 are different directory strings).  Also, I'm concerned
that the LDAP ordering matching rule may not meet the applications
needs (as the ordering will be applied to their representations,
not their abstract value).  As I am PCIM ignorant, I leave it
you and others to determine if the application needs are met
or not. However, you might want to make a general note to
deployers of this that they cannot rely on LDAP syntaxes and
rules being consistent with PCIM syntaxes and rules.

With 7, okay.