Re: Reg: Quality of Service routing

Barry Dykes <barry@qwest.net> Mon, 21 December 1998 20:57 UTC

To: MultiProtocol Label Switching <mpls@external.cisco.com>
cc: routing quality <qosr@newbridge.com>, Internet Protocol <ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com>
From: Barry Dykes <barry@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: Reg: Quality of Service routing
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:20:02 -0700
Sender: owner-qosr@newbridge.com

I think that some other factors occur here also.  Real delay problems
aren't
in regards to bandwidth.  Lack of bandwidth causes excessive queuing.
Queuing comes in different forms and sizes or depths.  Some
applications
can be sensitive to deeper queues.  Many router and switch vendors have
multiple queues for this reason.  Some have high priority queues with
very shallow buckets.  QOS can allow a router/switch to "park" a packet
in a shallow queue while waiting for it's turn at the outbound
interface.  It really may not matter that the actual line is only
running at 1/4 capacity.  But more how many packets are contending for
that interface at the same time, and who should have priority to it.
Such is the way of bursty traffic.  All packets will be delivered in
this scenario, only some have minimum delay characteristics that must
be met and therefore win in the first contention within the
router/switch.

Barry