Re: Reg: Quality of Service routing

Qingming Ma <qma@cisco.com> Tue, 22 December 1998 01:01 UTC

Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 12:49:00 -0600
From: Qingming Ma <qma@cisco.com>
To: Roch Guerin <guerin@ee.upenn.edu>
CC: "Raghu V.V.J Vadapalli" <iprsvp@yahoo.com>, routing quality <qosr@newbridge.com>, Internet Protocol <ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com>, MultiProtocol Label Switching <mpls@external.cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Reg: Quality of Service routing
Sender: owner-qosr@newbridge.com

I agree with Roch. Router packet pool memory and CPU cycles can often
become bottleneck in certain scenarios, especially when packet
forwarding
is done by software. One probably should never expect that there are
sufficient memory and CPU cycles, since keeping adding new QoS features
(e.g., classifying, scheduling, admission, reservation, policy
enforcing,
access control, ...) will consume more and more CPU resources.

Let us assume that router CPU is never the bottleneck. Even with
sufficient
large amount of bandwidth, we may still need QoS routing, unless one
can ensure that the traffic load is always below the link capacity and
the network rarely gets congested. One common belief is that QoS is only
needed when the load of QoS traffic is heavy, so that we can reduce the
number of requests being blocked. However, QoS routing is still useful
even when the QoS traffic load is light. For example, when the load of
best effort traffic is heavy and conentrated on some hot links, although
call blocking rate for QoS traffic is not an issue, but encourage QoS
traffic
to use the links with relatively light load of best effort traffic can
improve over all throughput for best effort traffic.

Qingming