Clarification of when authentication is used

Gary Scott Malkin <gmalkin@xylogics.com> Tue, 02 August 1994 22:00 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Gary Scott Malkin <gmalkin@xylogics.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 1994 18:01:12 -0400
To: fbaker@acc.com
Cc: ietf-rip@xylogics.com
Subject: Clarification of when authentication is used

> I dunno, I would agree with Jeff's assessment: it is information exchange
> we are authenticating, we shouldn't break the management applications that
> use RIP Requests to dump route tables. Having said which, seems like the
> same logic applies to passwords.

But that means there's no way to prevent outsiders from finding out what
your routing table looks like.  Speaking for myself, I'd don't think that
is a serious problem.  However, I remember, during the RREQ debates lo
these many years ago, that some secure sites didn't even want to have to
decrement the hop count for fear of giving away topology information.

Gary Malkin                                          Cheap, Fast, Good
(617) 272-8140                                       Pick two!