Re: [Roll] I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building-10.txt

Joakim Eriksson <joakime@sics.se> Wed, 29 April 2015 07:58 UTC

From: Joakim Eriksson <joakime@sics.se>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 09:58:14 +0200
To: consultancy@vanderstok.org
Cc: Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building-10.txt

Hello!

> On 29 Apr 2015, at 09:26, peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi Joakim,
>
> thanks for your remark.
> A channel models the transport through space of e/m waves between two interfaces.
> An asymmetric channel corresponds with asymmetric transport.

Sure, but most of the 6LoWPAN related RFC have been talking about asymmetric links
(look at RFC 6775 - 6LoWPAN-ND as an example). I would suggest keeping the same
terminology since that make things much easier for the reader.

> I prefer channel over link, as link usually does not include the concept of transport.
> I agree that opinions may differ, but the text is clear as it is?

Well replacing channel would make it a clear text ;-)

> Concerning ETX.
> The authors and other people generally recommend ETX. Do you have a better proposal backed up by evidence?
> I will be happy to hear about it.

We have been doing some significant tests and got some good evidence that indicates that picking based on ETX
as is will sometimes cause nodes to pick parents that have crappy links but good rank. We did some experiments that
basically give higher values to retransmissions than transmissions and that is significantly better. Something like

LinkValue = 1 + retransmissions * 3

instead of 1 + retransmissions * 1.

We have not yet made any RFC or publication on that yet - but we will hopefully get the time to do that
sooner or later (we have seen this in multiple separate projects). ETX is all fine for data collection networks
which is more or less was designed and evaluated for, but not for interactive networks where users expect
low latency when trying to configure/switch things.

Best regards,
— Joakim Eriksson, SICS