Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use

Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu> Mon, 02 February 2015 18:30 UTC

Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 10:29:34 -0800
From: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
To: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>, iesg@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org, draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use.all@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use

Hi, Dan,

It should be easy to add DTLS where TLS is cited. IPsec is an
interesting issue; I can add a few sentences to the security
considerations area about that - e.g., that IPsec protects in a
different way than TLS/DTLS, and that one key aspect of its
configuration is port-specific parameters, which means it may be
difficult to use separate IPsec policies on different services unless
their port numbers are known and fixed in advance (even if using dynamic
port numbers).

That latter is probably 2-3 short sentences, and I think would be
worthwhile.

Joe